Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship 2019

Matheus Salgado
Lu
Message added by Lu

Dear scholarship applicants,

Please don't forget we have LOTS of useful information on this site, not just the scholarship topics. We can advise on learning Chinese, life in China, visas and if you can't find what you need to know, you can ask a question

Take a look around!

Lu

Hello@EmperorTomatoKetchup. To answer your question regarding the accomodation, usually the university will provide you with the most basic double room. Some of the universities will require you to book a room and you might choose a single one but you will have to pay extra fees then. I suggest you to email the universities to find out what kind of room they will provide you and if it is necessary to book in advance.

EmperorTomatoKetchup
1 hour ago, Li Na said:

Hello@EmperorTomatoKetchup. To answer your question regarding the accomodation, usually the university will provide you with the most basic double room. Some of the universities will require you to book a room and you might choose a single one but you will have to pay extra fees then. I suggest you to email the universities to find out what kind of room they will provide you and if it is necessary to book in advance.

thank you, that's already a great help. But I can also find my own accommodation (airbnb or other platforms) and receive 700rmb extra, right? does anyone have any experience with that?

I have another question about the classes themselves: I know it depends on the university, but how many hours per day and days per week are the classes usually? do you also get time off (apart from weekends) to travel a bit?

16 hours ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

thank you, that's already a great help. But I can also find my own accommodation (airbnb or other platforms) and receive 700rmb extra, right? does anyone have any experience with that?

No experience but from what I have read you have to ask the uni for permission to live outside the campus (sometimes it’s also written on their website). Also I don’t think the money you will get will be enough to cover off campus accommodation. 

16 hours ago, EmperorTomatoKetchup said:

have another question about the classes themselves: I know it depends on the university, but how many hours per day and days per week are the classes usually?

The classes are usually 20h per week, 4h per day. 

• Helpful 1

• New Members

Hello everyone, I'm applying for CIS as a backup, in case I don't get a CGS scholarship. I'm choosing the One-Academic-Year Study in Chinese Language Study.

hope you guys can help me with some doubts I have:

1. Can I apply for multiple universities or should I choose just one?

2. I already passed HSK 5 so should I ask the host university if they have an advanced class before applying?

3. What exactly is the item G. Cooperative Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institutions? My host institution has 50 places for One-Academic-Year Study under this scholarship, is it more advantageous to apply under this item? If so, when registering, should I chose 合作院校孔子学院奖学金 under Scholarship item category?

4. How can I get an institution to recommend me if I've never studied in a CI and my test center is not eligible to recommend me? 

Thank you!

On 3/19/2019 at 4:20 AM, John D said:

Hello everyone, I'm applying for CIS as a backup, in case I don't get a CGS scholarship. I'm choosing the One-Academic-Year Study in Chinese Language Study.

hope you guys can help me with some doubts I have:

1. Can I apply for multiple universities or should I choose just one?

2. I already passed HSK 5 so should I ask the host university if they have an advanced class before applying?

3. What exactly is the item G. Cooperative Scholarship between Hanban and Host Institutions? My host institution has 50 places for One-Academic-Year Study under this scholarship, is it more advantageous to apply under this item? If so, when registering, should I chose 合作院校孔子学院奖学金 under Scholarship item category?

4. How can I get an institution to recommend me if I've never studied in a CI and my test center is not eligible to recommend me? 

Thank you!

Hmm, to be honest I heard they don't like accepting people with HSK5 for the one year study because they think you already know Chinese on a good enough level so it would be "wasted" on you. But I don't know if that's still the case considering every year they up the HSK requirements.

Also isn't it pretty risky to apply for both CIS and CGS? Two years ago somebody form by uni got accepted by both and then they both rejected him because he applied for both (which I guess you aren't allowed to do?)

As for recommendation I know a lot of people who haven't studied/taken HSK at a particular CI and still got a recommendation from them so it shouldn't be a problem. 

• New Members

Hi there guys! This year I am applying for mtcsol and my first priority is ECNU. Is there anyone else applying for masters or going to ECNU?Let's keep in touch ?I am on my third stage now and can't wait it to be changed into fourth. 

• New Members

Hello guys, I have just take HSK 4 with 208 points, and I am waiting for HSKK beginner results which will be above 70 I believe, but the answer will take 1 month to arrive. What you advice, should I apply now or wait for the HSKK answers, I am asking because some say universities fill their quota before deadlines. (I want 1 academic year Chinese language study)

@Iva 

I would recommend you to check the requirements of the university you chose. On the general application procedure on CIS webage it says for one academic year you are only required to have HSK3 however for some universities you are also required to upload any HSKK. You can look for the requirements of each university by googling the name of the uni you chose + 孔子学院奖学金2019. Also, each university has its own review times. For example, my uni is reviewing documents on 2 dates: 10 april, 10 may.

On the other hand, if you are really worried about the quota i suggest you to look for a university which doesnt ask for HSKK for the one academic year.

Good luck!!

• Like 2

My university doesn't have a CI and the one nearest me is saying it only recommends those with connections to the University (not mine). The embassy says they cannot recommend as 'the scholarship has nothing to do with the embassy'. What do? apply as category B?

30 minutes ago, iaas206 said:

My university doesn't have a CI and the one nearest me is saying it only recommends those with connections to the University (not mine). The embassy says they cannot recommend as 'the scholarship has nothing to do with the embassy'. What do? apply as category B?

I had the same problem as you as I'm not a student at any Confucius institute. Have you taken the tests yet? Some test places are willing to recommend you as long as you take the test with them. 

Personally, I wrote to all the active CI's in my country (pretty easy, there are less than four) and asked if they would be able to recommend me, which one of them am. 

5 hours ago, iaas206 said:

I haven't taken a test yet...that's another problem...I don't know if I'll be able to get the result back in time to apply for the September deadline.

Does anyone know if you absolutely need the certificate before the deadline? Or can it be uploaded later?

I'm in the same situation. I've taken the spoken test but not the written one yet. It should be okay as long as you get the online score announcement before the application deadline, from what i know most universities accept screenshots of it. I dont know if it's possible, but I wouldn't count on uploading anything after the deadline.

@Janghyeok Good luck, it's definitely progress! Where are you applying to?

@sp22 Congrats! 

2 minutes ago, iaas206 said:

I just got a response from my CI. The next test is May 11th and the deadline for September entry is May 20. Apparently it takes 45 days to get the result back. I think I have missed my chance this year.

That sucks! You can still try to go for the spring semester though