Chinese-Forums

Zhang Ziyi reality show -- vocabulary list needed for comprehension

nerdish

Hi all,

Pardon the crossposting in the vocabulary sub-forum -- I figured I may get my eyeballs here on my epic first-world plight. 

I'd just been clued in to Zhejiang TV's reality tv show:  演员的诞生 [Birth of an Actor] and as a result I've rekindled my crush on Zhang Ziyi. Just a quick brief on the show: Three acting luminaries judge the performances of relatively fresh-faced actors after they've rehearsed their respective scenes and played their parts in front of a live audience -- complete with pretty impressive scenic design but overbearing sound effects.

Anyways, to my point,  it didn't take long for me to realize I didn't understand 3/4 of what was said, particularly when the judges started critiquing the performances. I get lost in all the talk about the precise emotions that the performances evoked, and in jargon about acting techniques. I was wondering if anyone is in possession of a word list in this area to help get me to speed.

I'm a Mandarin heritage speaker with a listening vocabulary of about 1000 characters. Some of you might think it might make sense for me to concentrate on more standard vocabulary but I'm totally hooked on this show and would just love to further my enjoyment of it by grasping all the specialized lingo. Thanks in advance for any leads!

Btw, here's a link to the first show of the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59f_dHokzH4

• Good question! 1

2 hours ago, nerdish said:

Pardon the crossposting in the vocabulary sub-forum

Yeah, don't do that please. I've hidden your other post. But your question is a good one, I hope you can get good answers here.

Thanks for the responses! The subs are hardcoded unfortunately on Youtube -- I've been caught in a technical rabbit hole trying to figure out how to extract them to no avail thus far. I'm going to try to get a few lines OCR'd through PLECO and bring them up here.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2018 at 8:37 PM, nerdish said:

Thanks for the responses! The subs are hardcoded unfortunately on Youtube -- I've been caught in a technical rabbit hole trying to figure out how to extract them to no avail thus far. I'm going to try to get a few lines OCR'd through PLECO and bring them up here.

So I've been struggling with hard coded subs for the shows that I like too. I am trying to get as much as I can transcribed professionally (relatively cheap in China). 

If you wanted to go that route I'd be happy to help for this show (the company that I get charges like 20-30rmb/3-6USD per episode). If not, I've been batch extracting hard subs from series into separate images files as well as PDF's (to make professional transcription faster and cheaper) which I'd be happy to help you with too if you want to go the OCR route. 

PM me and I'll share details and the tools that I use (or possibly do it for you if you need). 

• Like 1