Chinese-Forums

Chinese food

iraskulska

• New Members

Hi, everyone!

I am a big fan of chinese culture and love to explore it in different ways. Especially I'm interested in chinese food and want to try different kinds of dishes of four major cuisines (lu, chuan, yue, su) The problem is that I have some allergies (I can't eat tomatoes, beans,fish) and I don't like spicy, bitter and rare food.Moreover, I am a vegetarian. What is the best choice for me?

• Good question! 1
  • Helpful 1

Welcome to the forum!

What do you mean about "rare food?" Not sure I understand that term the same way you intend it. 

Where will you be doing your exploring? Are you in China now? Will you be cooking things at home or visiting restaurants? 

Here's a recent Sichuan recipe featuring cauliflower: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57449-dry-fried-cauliflower-干煸花菜/ 

(A vegetarian version can be made by leaving out the meat. Also, you might prefer to omit the dried chili peppers. Tomatoes are optional.) 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Rare means undercooked.  

Vegetarian, no beans, no tomatoes, no spicy, and no bitter.  That's pretty restrictive, though that still leaves you with a lot of choices.  You can try the vegetarian restaurants next to temples, the monks eat there and they're always good food.  I don't know where you are, but in my town there are these little vegetarian restaurants all over the place.  They're buffets, pay ¥20 and it's all you can eat.  Less like a restaurant and more like someone's house who just likes to cook a ton of dishes for dinner.  I like to eat at these whenever I can, it's cheap and healthy.  You can try dishes until you find ones you like and then ask the proprietor what they're called.  When you get home, Baidu search the name and you should find tons of info about how to prepare them.  Search on Youku to find instructional videos.  

I am not sure a vegetarian would use the word rare as it usually means meat that is not well cooked and in some cases even almost raw, and when still bloody its called Blue.

I wonder if the OP means rare as in weird, like unusual vegetables,  I am not sure if English is the OP's first language and they mean something completely different.

What reactions do you get when you eat the things you are allergic to? If it is a serious or life threatening reaction I would be hesitant of eating anything I did not cook myself from raw ingredients I had purchased my self and I had read and understood all the ingredients on all packages. I say this as someone who suffers from a serious allergy to nuts. I never eat out and its the main reason I will never go to China and indeed why I don't travel much at all.

• Like 1

I used to know a vegetarian guy in China - he loved the food, as long as they cooked it without slipping a bit of surprise meat in.  His usual go to dishes were 蛋炒饭 (not exactly rare) and 地三鲜 (which is amazing).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shelley said:

I am not sure a vegetarian would use the word rare as it usually means meat that is not well cooked and in some cases even almost raw, and when still bloody its called Blue.

I wonder if the OP means rare as in weird, like unusual vegetables,  I am not sure if English is the OP's first language and they mean something completely different.

Yes, I meant what Shelley said. Will go back and try to make my intent more plain. 

@somethingfunny -- 

His usual go to dishes were 蛋炒饭 (not exactly rare) and 地三鲜 (which is amazing).

Thanks for this good reminder! I like 地三鲜 too, but have not made it in a while. 

• Like 1

cold dishes, the Chinese salad could be a good choose. 炒时蔬, any restaurant has this one, means the fried vegi of the time.

Make sure tell them no tomato, beans, spicy.... 

what a pity, it is almost  not Chinese cuisine but a survive meal.  

just come to my mind, the all vegi restaurant素菜馆 is getting on the way these days, baidu or google them. Some budda temple offers all vegi meals, free or with a price. 

On 11/21/2018 at 8:42 AM, abcdefg said:

Thanks for this good reminder! I like 地三鲜 too, but have not made it in a while. 

As this is one of my favorites, I would love a walk through of you cooking it!

• Like 3