Chinese-Forums

British English: Do you have the time?

NinjaTurtle

(a) What time is it?
(b) What's the time?

If I'm talking to family or friends I use these the most. I also use these when I'm asking a member of staff in a shop or hotel, but usually when we're talking about a time related matter. For example "We close at 5 o'clock." "Oh, what's the time now?" or "There's a bus on the hour" "What time is it now?".

(c) Do you have the time?
(d) Have you got the time?

These are more likely used when asking strangers in public for the time. I wouldn't stop a stranger and say 'Hey, what time is it?', but it's pretty common to say "Excuse me, do you have the time?" or "Have you got the time?". Pretty standard to add the class "Don't suppose you've got the time?" or "Have you got the time by any chance?"

On 11/20/2018 at 10:51 PM, Shelley said:

I hear all of them except for D unless its a prefix as in "Have you got the time to go shopping?"

I would also say that F sounds a bit clumsy but is still used.

Using the phrase "the time" we know we're talking about the time now, so people don't really say that. However we would omit the 'the' and say "Have you got time to go shopping?"

• Like 1

I still hear it. Not everyone in the world has either a phone or a watch. 

My partner has not got in to the habit of looking at his phone for the time and could never wear a watch, got in the way too much when he worked, and when he did they always broke either the strap or the mechanism.

People round me don't regularly use their phone for the time, they have to dig them out of handbags or pockets in coats they are not wearing or its in another room and so on.