Chinese-Forums

"The three fresh treasures" 地三鲜 -- Aubergine, potatoes, and green bell pepper

abcdefg

Can I give this more than one like?

Great work @abcdefg.

Two questions:

1. Do you find the aubergine starts to discolour if you chop it and then leave it  before cooking?

2. How much oil is left after the potatoes have fried?  Do the aubergines soak it all up?  Would you add any more?  The one problem I have with this dish is how oily it potentially is.

(Also, you've written 请教 rather than 青椒.)

• Like 1

Thank you @somethingfunny. And I also appreciate your catching the typo. I went back and fixed it. 

The aubergine does start to discolor when exposed to air, but in this dish it doesn't really matter. Normally, it's the last thing I cut up, exactly because of that tendency. 

Ah, the oil issue. You're absolutely right, this dish can easily become oily. Part of why I used a non-stick pan instead of my steel wok is so I can use less oil overall. Those darned eggplants are really thirsty for oil; they slurp it up like crazy. I don't give them any extra. 

Sometimes when I make this I cook the potatoes and the green peppers together. Just start the potatoes first since they take a little longer. Then cook the eggplant last, adding the wet and dry seasonings after all three main ingredients are together. 

I've seen recipes (but have not tried them) in which one first steams the eggplant, then just combines it with the other two ingredients in an effort to produce a low fat version. At the other end of the spectrum, in restaurant kitchens here they often deep fry each of the three main components separately and then just combine them with a sauce. 

Glad you liked it!

One of my favourite dishes, and one of my staples when I used to live in Dalian. There's nothing like this, a 番茄炒蛋 and a 锅包肉. (Actually I used to like 菠萝鸡片 even more, but this doesn't seem to be a regular or standard dish.)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

I've seen recipes (but have not tried them) in which one first steams the eggplant, then just combines it with the other two ingredients in an effort to produce a low fat version. 

That's how I cook 鱼香茄子 and it seems to work pretty well.

It's going to be pretty difficult for me not to cook this 地三鲜 this weekend...

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 6:55 PM, somethingfunny said:

It's going to be pretty difficult for me not to cook this 地三鲜 this weekend...

Don't struggle against the urge. Give in and do it! Let us know how it works out when steaming the eggplant. (I'd like to try it that way myself next time.)

My girlfriend, like all restaurants, makes this by deep frying as well. Not so healthy but very good! 

Your version is a nice midway between steaming things and full on deep fat frying. 

Those light purple eggplants arent always around here in Beijing but I prefer them to the other kinds - long, dark purple and  the round ones. 

• Like 1

A beautiful looking recipe, abcd! I'm feeling a similar urge to somethingfunny. 

In terms of the oil issue when cooking eggplant, I don't have an easy answer for the Chinese kitchen. However, I sometimes roast the eggplant in the oven before adding it to this dish. I know it isn't authentic, but I've always been bothered by oily eggplant and roasting lets me use a lot less oil and still get a nice texture. Obviously more work and not possible for most people in China. 

• Like 1