Chinese-Forums

Wenlin blurry font

Tomsima

I just bought a new computer (surface pro 6), the screen is waaay crisper than the old samsung laptop ive been using for years. I promptly moved my wenlin software over to my new computer, and am amazed to see how fuzzy the text appears to be compared to the crisp text displayed on websites and other software. Is this issue due to wenlin's age, or is there an issue with using the software on newer computers? (I was on windows 10 on my old computer, so it shouldnt be an OS issue) Is there any way to solve this? I've tried all sorts of different fonts, they all display very clearly on pleco, but are still comparatively unclear on wenlin. Any solutions, or is it just the age of the software showing?

Not blurry at all in my PC (Dell Optiplex + Windows 10), just tried all the fonts and various sizes in Wenlin and they all look crisp (the fonts look dated, but sharp). Turning Clear Type on and off didn't make any difference but it may be worth a try.  

Edit to add: maybe your Surface is too good for Wenlin. The display in my Dell isn't terribly good, I've seen better.

thanks hofmann, thats sorted everything out for me, it is the screen difference thats made everything so noticeable, and it appears theres nothing i can do about it. That being said, i would rather take the speed of wenlin over looks, so thats fine with me.

Just in case you couldn't or didn't read the link in my earlier post here it is. From wenlin help.

When the Smooth Text option is on, some fonts are displayed on the screen in a way you may find better looking. (Technically it is known as anti-aliasing.) Instead of using only one color, the edges of each character use a mixture of the text and background colors, which produces a smooth(or blurry) effect rather than sharp, jagged pixels. You can turn it off and on, and see which you like better. Some fonts (Monospace Pinyin, Plain Hanzi, and Bitmap Hanzi) are not affected by this option. Printing is also not affected. (Good printers have high enough resolution so that you can’t see the individual pixels anyway.) By default, the Smooth Textoption is on.

thanks shelley, didnt see your post above there. turning off smooth text when im using a .ttf font results in the text being displayed wrongly. even turning off smooth text and using the built in fonts is a step backward in quality again. looks like there isnt a way to make .ttf, .ttc etc fonts display properly with smooth text off in wenlin. im guessing this is something to do with the bitmap font thing.

No, the .ttf fonts are TrueType, not bitmap, fonts. In Wenlin, the bitmap fonts are used only for the very obscure characters.

Two other things to try:

Change the display parameters. I think Wenlin likes old-fashioned ones.

Try running Wenlin in a compatability mode, if there is such a thing in Win10. I have Win7, yet run Wenlin under XP mode.

• Helpful 2

@889 Absolutely amazing, I ran Wenlin in compatibility mode for Windows 8, then selected the option that text was being displayed incorrectly. It has now solved the problem, the text is displaying super crisp HD. Really had given up hope, so thanks for your advice, very much appreciated.

• Like 1