Chinese-Forums

antique carved wooden object

badair

• New Members

please excuse my ignorance, i mean not to offend

anyone know what language this antique wooden craving is written in and can you translate

my mother left this after her passing and never knew the true origin, words or possible meaning

thanks in advance for your time and thoughtful consideration

Wooden wall hanging.JPG

I'm guessing that it's Japanese. I think it's a signboard for a sake shop designating that shop as a special dealer in a particular brand of sake.

The name of the shop-owning family is Sano (designation and name down the left side). The brand name is in the center, and I'm guessing, it's either Fuji Ei or  Fuji Sakae (or even Sakai), but traditional  sake names aren't my specialty.

The right side, reading down, gives the address of the main brewery in Fujioka.

The top seems to specify special registrations and designations the brewery holds. However, it may be  about the shop, but I doubt it.

There's a small box or two I can't read from my phone, but later, if I can get to a bigger screen with higher resolution, I'll give it a try. Someone else will probably weigh in before that though.

Hope this helps.

TBZ

• Like 2

• New Members

TBZ

thank you for your gracious detailed reply

i too hope others will weigh in or you are able to view in higher resolution

i can get other photos if needed

i'll pass this on to my sister that will be so excited for these details so far

thank you again!

Further input will be a bit disappointing, I fear, as I certainly may be wrong on the finer points of what I have claimed to be true, but here goes...

The two lines at the top, as I said initially, are about the brewer, indicating that the name is a registeted trademark. But I can't make much out of the name of the brewer (the top line), other than it may be based on the word for a woven reed-style traditional Japanese raincoat, now often referred to as a "kappa."

The bigger of the two boxes next to the elaborate name of the sake in the center of the board seem to  indicate this sake won a prize as Number One in its class in a sake judging event, and the smaller four character box seems to indicate this sake is one of a superior class of sweet (as opposed to dry or tart) sakes.

Sorry I can't  be of more help, but I prefer beer, and so I have never had to learn the ins and outs of the lore of sake, which can be quite intimidating. A real afficianado can go on and on forever. 

In any case, enjoy your treasure.

TBZ

The top line says 純良清酒 (going from right to left), I think it is just a slogan saying this is good sake.

The second line is 登録商標, which means registered trademark and probably refers to the name/logo in the middle.

Fujioka is the name of the brewery, which is located at Fushimi-cho (Kyoto perhaps?).  The circle is its seal.

• New Members

tbz

no disappointment here

really appreciate you contributing a portion of your life by replying...i'll never be able to repay or give you back that time

dwq

thank you as well for your contribution and the same as far as your life

another source has provided this copy & paste for those interested

That's a signboard hung on outside (or maybe inside) wall of a sake shop.

Brewer Fujioka-honke in Fushimi town (probably in Kyoto)

High Quality Sake Registered Trademark Fujisakae (brand name)

Special sales agents Sano-ya (shop's name)

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good