Chinese-Forums

Queue skipping and other social grievances on the decrease?

DavyJonesLocker

Anyone notice that more and more places are preventing plenty people from queue skipping. 

Starbucks (OK not a good example) are very rigid on this and just will not serve anyone who queue skips . I just asked the waitress and she told me that they have all been told not to let it happen by management.

However even in my local supermarket they have stopped it now at the weighing points. It was the same in the cinema the other day.

Usually I dislike going to the cinema due the amount of ignorant and self-centered people talking, taking phone calls and so forth. Although I notice more and more people are beginning to interject with their frustration of these people

There is a long way to go but  it seems to be a combination of society norms changing and businesses becoming more professional. 

For reference, this is in Beijing . 

• Like 3

On 11/24/2018 at 1:35 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

Usually I dislike going to the cinema due the amount of ignorant and self-centered people talking, taking phone calls and so forth.

I think you are probably right that this has gotten a little better. I hesitate to draw any premature conclusions, but it seems like recently I've run into less of those loud mobile phone conversations inside the cinema. Ring, ring: "Oh, hello Zhang. No, I'm not busy, just sitting here in a boring movie." 

I'm so happy to hear this positive progress, even if it is only in the big cities and might take a long time to reach a point where everyone just does it due to consideration to others, I welcome these small milestones ?

When I was in Suzhou earlier this year there were signs all over the place reminding people of "manners", including this fairly comprehensive one in the metro:

432994989_zhtmpsigns-2.thumb.jpg.41a3b52bf063aefa4d25188def927fe8.jpg

Also spotted this one in the (fake-German) Paulaner bierhaus in Nanjing, over a plastic dustbin, and wasn't entirely sure what to make of it:

1001146907_zhtmpsigns-3.thumb.jpg.f28a3a537223bebd3e15affe2f62c084.jpg

...is 醒酒桶 actually a thing?  (Sobering-up bucket?)

• Like 4

They definitely don't follow this when they are abroad. It is very obvious in Japan. When I heard people speaking Chinese in any random 7 Eleven, I knew they will try to skip queues - and they did. It might be getting better in bigger Chinese cities, but still not too common in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZhangKaiRong said:

They definitely don't follow this when they are abroad. It is very obvious in Japan. When I heard people speaking Chinese in any random 7 Eleven, I knew they will try to skip queues - and they did. It might be getting better in bigger Chinese cities, but still not too common in general.

yeah don't get me wrong, we are still talking baby steps here. I came back from Japan last week and exact same experience. At the bus stop the Chinese were skipping the queue.

I cautiously think its in the right direction in the big cities at least. (hopefully) But a looong way to go!!

PS: I am trying to stay positive these days and not get myself worked up about what I see in China on a daily basis. ?

• Like 2

I think one way to get these spread quicker through society is by introducing it at schools at a young age and not just by punishing kids who don't follow the rules but by explaining how their behaviours would disrupt others. I heard that kids in Japan are thought manners, respects and how to clean after themselves at school from very young age. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amytheorangutan said:

I think one way to get these spread quicker through society is by introducing it at schools at a young age...

One encouraging thing along those lines that I see more and more here in Kunming is a mother out on the street leading her young child to a trash can so the kid can discard some piece of rubbish there instead of just dropping it where he stands. 

• Like 2

That 'vomit here' bucket is fantastic, never seen one of those. 

What about smoking? Are restaurants actually smoking free now? I left before smoking bans, but I did see the change from nobody caring about smoking in restaurants, to some smokers becoming aware it might be unpleasant. Unfortunately as I rarely ate with people who smoked at the table, all it meant was that nearby smokers would blow their smoke away from *their* table so as not to annoy *their* companions, and end up blowing it over neighbouring tables. Baby steps, as was said. 

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite story was a Canadian friend that is almost 2 meters tall had a guy cut in front of him at the supermarket. The guy ignored my friend, so friend literally picks him up, gently puts him down to his side, and pats him on the head. Guy was so stunned he didn't know what to do.

Andrew, you're an asshole, but you're my asshole.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 8:37 AM, Brian US said:

My favorite story was a Canadian friend that is almost 2 meters tall had a guy cut in front of him at the supermarket. The guy ignored my friend, so friend literally picks him up, gently puts him down to his side, and pats him on the head.

In the light of recent events,  I suspect your Canadian friend might think twice before trying this again.

• Like 2