Chinese-Forums

Different cuisines in China

Lollipop2000

I'm almost clueless about China, but my friend goes there every year, so she tells me about stuff she sees there.

Which parts of China would eat things like dogs or snakes and insects? And what is the cuisine of the Western parts like? I heard it contains a large amount of fat, and they have their own kebab like thing. As for the standard Chinese cuisine, I have heard that in authentic Chinese restaurants, even outside of China, they make the beaks and (foot?) of chickens into powder and add it to the food for flavour, as well as clotted chicken blood. Is that true?

What is the most widely eaten type of meat in China.. as in chicken, duck, pork..etc?

Almost all parts of China have their own local cuisines. In general, the southern provinces are more adventurous with their foods (spicier and eat a wider range of food stuffs).

If you are travelling as a tourist, it is unlikely that you will ever see or experience some of the delicacies. You usually need to go to local restaurants and specifically ask for these.

The number of delicacies in China are vast and do include things like dog, donkey, horse, coagulated ducks blood, chicken feet virtually all other parts of the chicken, turtle, globe fish, fresh water slugs, sea cucumbers, sparrow and the list goes on.

Pork, chicken and fish (fresh and salt water inc. crustaceans) are possibly the to three meat groups.

Pork is the most widely eaten meat in China.

Liaoning and Jilin provinces are good destinations for sampling dog meat. You can find dog meat restaurants all over Shenyang. I've heard that it used to be popular in Taiwan.

Guangdong province is where snake is most commonly eaten. It is said that people in Guangdong eat the strangest animals, perhaps that's why SARS has originated there more than once.

Western China's Xinjiang province is famous for its Central Asian style food. You can also see many folks from Xinjiang province on the streets of China's eastern cities cooking and selling cheap kebabs. There is a Muslim Quarter in Xi'an if you don't have time to do the entire Silk Road.

I've never heard of crushed beak powder. I'd file that one in with the legendary monkey brains rumor. I've yet to see that in even the most remote areas of China.