Chinese-Forums

Is this Chinese proper name Loks good?

Angos

Hello guys.
First of all, my name is Alexandre Manenti.
I'm a Kung Fu instructor and, since I teach the lineage of my family to my students, I think its a little bit lame to say "Yours lineage is 黃飛鴻, 鄧芳... Alexandre Manenti", even if I use the transliteration. Because of that, and a little of pride, I wold like to have a proper chinese name.
So, wen I was oficiali acepted by my  师傅 as a family member, my chinese 师公 gave me my transliteration name (亚历山大 ). But I understanded that proper chineses names have one character for the surname and something like one or two character for the persons name. Since 亚历山大 has four characters, I chose to use the phonetics of Xandi (something like "Shan Ji"), a nickname that my parents gave me.
With this in mind, I tried to find charactes that sounds like Xandi. At first I came with 神帝, that apears to mean emperor, what is good, since Alexander the Great was a emperor. Then I tried something with the 山 character, since it apears in my transliteration name and I realy like this char. 神帝 became 山帝 that, in my undertand, is translated as mountain emperor.
Later, the fact that I dont realy know if any of the previus can be understandebal as a name or just as words, bugs me. So I came to the forum and find a post on how you have to find what your name means and than try to translate that. So I made my research. Alexandre cames from Alexander from the greek "defending man".So I tried 守人, but together, the characters mean "Keeping people", and again came the fact that it could not be understandable as a name, for chineses. Finally I find this char 义 that, together with 守, sounds almos like Xandi. In my understand 守义 could mean Defender of the Justice, what is a good replacement for Defender of men, right?
For my surname, I can't find the meaning for Manenti. So i decided to abandon that and adopt my Kung Fu family name 洪.
Then, my proper chinese name would be 洪守义.

Is that looks good? Should I use any of the other names I found earlier instead? Any other sugestions?

"Abandon entirely the idea of having a Chinese name that has anything whatsoever to do with your English name."

I'm not a fan of Chinese names that are clearly just transformations of names from other languages. But I don't see anything wrong with a basically Chinese-sounding name that somewhat echoes your name in another language. I think many if not most foreigners follow this approach.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2018 at 8:31 PM, vellocet said:

Abandon entirely the idea of having a Chinese name that has anything whatsoever to do with your English name.

I agree with @889. I also very much doubt the OP has an English name. It sounds like French to me, or possibly another Southern European language.

• Like 1