Chinese-Forums

Necklace pendant translation and value

JayFromGuam

• New Members

I got this necklace from a friend back in 2015 and I've never worn it because I never knew what it meant. I asked a Chinese friend what it meant and he told me "Fu Lu Shou". All I know is what I could find on the internet. I made an account on this website in hopes to find out more info on this piece of jewelry.

Can someone please tell me what this necklace means, and the value of it? Not that I am going to sell or give it away but I would like to know what it is worth in U.S. Dollars as I had it for a long time and never wore it. I am thinking of starting to wear it today.

IMG-20181208-WA0000.jpeg

"Happiness, wealth, longevity" is the message, basically.

The pendant body looks to be nacre; the gold-coloured parts might have some gold content, but you would need to either find a hallmark or subject the metal parts to the acid-test to know for sure how much.

• New Members
5 hours ago, Zbigniew said:

"Happiness, wealth, longevity" is the message, basically.

The pendant body looks to be nacre; the gold-coloured parts might have some gold content, but you would need to either find a hallmark or subject the metal parts to the acid-test to know for sure how much.

Thank you so much!

On 12/9/2018 at 12:40 AM, JayFromGuam said:

Are you serious? Nothing ever goes for that cheap here. Even just fashion jewelry goes for $5+.

New and in a shop, yes. But if you would sell your necklace, it would be second-hand. I guess it depends on whether you are asking for the replacement value (something like 5-10 dollar) or the price you could sell it for (perhaps 1 dollar, if you find a buyer).

Either way, it's a nice necklace, you should definitely consider wearing it.

Jay, it's probable that the necklace and bail are gold-plated at best, in which case the cash value will be as low as other respondents have suggested.

However, no jeweller worth his or her salt ever gives a valuation based on only a photograph, and until you do establish the actual gold content you're not going to know for sure how much your necklace is worth. You can find up-to-date bullion pricing here: https://www.cooksongold.com/metalprices/