Chinese-Forums

Police report form (bilingual)

ChTTay

I assume this might have been someone’s idea to use when someone who speaks little to no Chinese has an issue and there isn’t any translator. However, beyond knowing the type of crime I’m not sure how useful it would be. The details would all need translating anyway. 

Weird response @vellocet

Language isn’t helpful to see? 

I also doubt it’s an “official” form for Beijing or for anywhere. It has no markings from any Police force or otherwise. 

Seems more like, as I said, someone just tried to make it to be helpful. How helpful it is is debateful but still interesting someone made it and put it in a police station. 

A different form for everywhere is right. But this isn’t like an official city police form. I’m fairly sure it’ll only be in the one office I went to actually.

• Like 1

"Only for Beijing"? It looks like it's only for one police station -  there's no indication it's in any way 'official', some local desk sergeant has just got fed up with foreigners losing their passport and decided to photocopy this to make life slightly easier. 

Doesn't mean it's not useful and / or interesting. I encourage everyone to post random bits of Chinese they find.

• Like 2

Years ago when I lived in Beijing, I had my scooter battery stolen while parked outside overnight in my neighborhood (they just ripped the seat off). I didn't have much going on that day, so thought I'd ask the neighborhood party office if there were cameras.

This wasn't the police station, but whatever neighborhood oversight office? Walk down into the basement and it's what you'd expect, party banners all over, and a couple staff not doing much. Woman took my contact information, and said they would let me know if anything comes of it. 

Other staff comes over with cigarette hanging (relevant because these offices always have a bottle just full of cigarette butts). He says "maybe they borrowed the battery, and wait until tomorrow and see if they bring it back." This amount of sarcasm with his straight face dumbfounded me, maybe it was a language misunderstanding? Nope, he made a joke, and it made this whole experience worth it. And no, the thief never attempted to "return" my battery.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Brian US said:

This amount of sarcasm with his straight face dumbfounded me, maybe it was a language misunderstanding? Nope, he made a joke, and it made this whole experience worth it. And no, the thief never attempted to "return" my battery.

Brian, you don't have enough faith in the universe. Stolen stuff gets returned all the time. Especially to CSC champions.

23 hours ago, roddy said:

fed up with foreigners

Actually very likely. It’s from the Shunyi foreign registration office. This one isn’t in a police station at all, it’s a stand alone office in a row of shops that’s just for foreigners. It’s staffed by one women with no English skills. Useful in an office just for non-Chinese people. 

Ha Roddy, my first thought was Extrapages just happened to steal someone's bike with ribbon on it that looked like hers....

After I had a 10rmb extra U-lock stolen out of my bike basket while I ran upstairs, I don't have high hopes. Bike was locked, just had the extra one that didn't even have its key, so they took it for the 3 mao of scrap.

Off topic but on topic...

I had a bicycle stolen in Wudaokou years ago. It was a piece of crud that I bought for 100rmb. Anyway, 4 weeks without a bike and I was walking down the street ... what did I see? My bike! And whoever took it was using the same blooming bike lock! I still had my keys so I just unlocked it and rode away. It was literally opposite my apartment block.

How did I know it was mine? I had this luminous pink bike shaft/pole below the seat (it was a dark blue bike). It was easy to spot in the endless sea of bikes. 

• Like 1