Chinese-Forums

oh, my turn: seal script

mungouk

My work colleagues just gave me a seal as a leaving present, but I'm struggling to read the seal script.

1802542353_ScreenShot2018-12-11at21_36_09.png.601bdcad38872e398aefa7640750593d.png

I think it says 奎士收... is that right?  (not sure if seals are read L-R or R-L).

If so does this mean they've translated my name to something like crotch - scholar - receive? (!)

Somebody please tell me it has a more poetic meaning. ? 

It's very weird to see 汉 in seal script. This simplified form of 漢 didn't exist when seal script was dominant.

I think the third character is probably 之.

Does any of the combinations resemble your Chinese name or the Chinese pronunciation of your English name?

• Like 2

汉 or 韩 are very close to my English family name.

Not sure where 之 comes in?

奎士 is vaguely close phonetically to my English given name, but given it was cooked up by colleagues, I'm not married to it. 

I'd be happy to choose 韩  as a family name if appropriate, and something more sensible (and not necessarily similar to my given name) as a new Chinese given name. 

This has suddenly got a bit more complicated than expected ? 

1 hour ago, mungouk said:

not sure if seals are read L-R or R-L

You probably figured it out already, but for the record: top to bottom and R-L.

The simplified 汉 does look weird. Maybe you can start from your name and find the right seal. This is a nice tool:

https://www.purpleculture.net/chinese-seal-generator/

(I got a gorgeous seal through them, in case you're tempted)

• Like 1

That is 之 without a doubt, it is a form specific to 繆篆 which became popular in 漢, forming the most common form of 之 used in all 漢印 style seals. It is usually followed by a 印 or 璽 character. Sorry @mungouk, but I don't mind sticking my neck out and saying your seal is pretty bad, done by someone without much practice.  Perhaps they're trying to write 奎之漢 (if you're a man that is), as if to say "Man of...Kui" (?) but they're writing in the wrong direction. Would love it if you could get them to explain it!

• Like 1

Usually there's a relationship between the quality of the sealstone and the quality of the engraving: a first-quality stone deserves a first-quality engraving, etc.

Agree this engraving suggests it's probably not a first-quality stone. That it's engraved 阴刻 intaglio not 阳雕 relief is another hint, since intaglio is much easier and quicker to carve than relief. Ditto the choice of 汉 over 漢.

If you'd like, post photos of the seal itself and we'll tell you how generous your colleagues were.

But it is of course the thought that counts.

(And Google 韩奎: you'll see it is a name used in China; works especially well if you're a Hank.)