Chinese-Forums

Classical Chinese moocs

Luxi

Don't feel sorry, please keep them coming :D Maybe the last 2 MOOCS could be too advanced for me, but I do appreciate that you write about them here. I'll make sure to check them out. I'm still at an intermediate level, but I'll do my best to improve and I think MOOCS are very good..there are MOOCS about anything, so not just about the Chinese language itself, about also about medicine, biology, computer science that are some of my favourite subjects. Almost every MOOC should have subtitles, so that's good because I think I'll encounter a lot of new words.

• Like 2

Thank you @fabiothebest !

I never know how far to spam the Forum with Chinese mooc posts, it really is good to know there is an audience for those posts. Most moocs are repeated at least twice a year (often improved in later issues). Even if they seem too advanced or you have no time now,  you can register when ready. Quality and interest are variable, you only find out when you register and start the video lectures, so I hope these previews help.

I always forget to mention that there are many other mooc subjects, including lots of science and technology, thanks for reminding me! Back to Classical Chinese,  moocs for Chinese students assume that there already is a basic knowledge, at best they offer guided readings which are quite hard for most of us. I haven't tried any of those yet, but the catalogue has several of those guided readings, and now a much wider choice. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Luxi said:

a nice introduction for beginners in Classical  Ancient Chinese.

OK, I'll bite... what's the difference?   (A quick google didn't help.)

Is it that "Classical" Chinese is one particular type of "Ancient" Chinese, but specifically that which is used in classical literature, or in a literary style?

11 hours ago, mungouk said:

I'll bite... what's the difference? 

Ancient Chinese (古汉语) encompasses all spoken and written Han Nationality language from antiquity to the May 4th movement (1919) . Classical Chinese / Wenyanwen, 文言文, refers to the written language, 文. Obviously, all this is a bit redundant since all the study material that we have is written text, though it's nice to think that this was, at least in part, the spoken language in the Zhou Dynasty. 

If you search for  文言文 moocs in Chinese platforms, you won´t find much (I still have to find a single one), all classical Chinese language moocs seem to be called 古汉语. Funnily, the 'classical Chinese' taught in Chinese Primary and Middle schools (up to Gaokao language questions), seems to be still 文言文 and not 古汉语.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations Luxi!! Am about halfway through 古代汉语 (Wuhan University) and second your comments, it's a well organised and interesting course! Especially loved the lessons which go through a few Oracle Bone Inscriptions and Western Zhou Bronze inscriptions, it's a really good intro to those topics. For the 文言文 selections, agree that there's some basic knowledge of Classical/Literary Chinese assumed, as the teacher explains what is being said, but not exactly how it is said - the specifics of grammar, particles, word order etc - so having worked through Rouzer or similar would be useful background.

8 hours ago, Shandongkid said:

basic knowledge of Classical/Literary Chinese assumed

That's because Chinese students have already gone through the basics and more in Primary and High School.  Most moocs are for University level learners, so most of what is listed  are advanced guided readings and analyses. Same goes for poetry.  The table on the right on this page will give you an idea of how far behind we are - incidentally. this is a great site for anything classical.

https://www.gushiwen.cn/

For the real basic grammar etc. one would have to go to the online school sites, though Rouzer, Fuller and co. seem much more suitable for us. Beginners classes assume you're about 7 years old.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 5:03 PM, Luxi said:

BLCU 古代汉语入门 Introduction to Ancient Chinese 

Really liking this one!

I have watched the first three stories and it is indeed very well presented and suitable for not so advanced learners.

The exercises are too easy, but that's not really the main point for me,

even if I forget most of this stuff soon, it's good listening practice and very interesting at the same time:)

Thanks for posting!