Chinese-Forums

Guilin, Yangshuo or Kunming for 2 weeks of Chinese Study

alayeer

Hello everyone!

Next year, I'm thinking of taking 2.5 weeks leave from work and going alone to China for an intensive language study.

My Chinese level is upper-intermediate since I have studied Chinese for 1 year in Taiwan before. My purpose for going to China is just to brush-up and increase my Chinese ability as I really love the language.

I'm considering these 3 schools as you can enroll in the course from as short as 1 week and quite affordable:

- CLI in Guilin

- Omeida Chinese Academy in Yangshuo

- Keats School in Kunming

- Huayang Academy in Yunnan (just added this one)

Have any of you had any firsthand-experience of studying in any of those school? I will be delighted to hear from you.

I want to know your learning experience, ease to make friends, accommodation, and any other info you might be willing to share.

Thank you!

Edited by alayeer
Added another option

Here is a long-running threads on Keats: 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/8574-keats-school-kunming-a-query/?tab=comments#comment-66914 

I've been there several times and always found it excellent. (I cannot compare it first hand with the others on your short list.) 

Do you know what time of year you will be in China? Summer in Kunming is rainy, winter is cold but dry (no snow.) Spring and fall are splendid. 

The location of the Keats School and dorm rooms are in a convenient, central location. They are together in the same building. One drawback to the location is that subway construction is currently underway nearby, making it less tranquil than it would be otherwise. 

(I don't work for them.) 

Thanks for the link! I will check it out.

I'm planing to go to China in June. May I know what class do you attend? Is it the 1-on-1 class?

In your opinion, is it easy to make friends with other students in Keats? Understand that they have many school activities which might help as well.

I attended one-on-one classes. Did several sessions a year or two apart, starting a long time ago. Not going to class anywhere at present. 

Not sure what to say about making friends there. Am still pals with a couple of the teachers. Never had any desire to get close to other foreigners and chat away in English. In fact, I avoid them like the plague. 

Always thought the school was well managed and appreciated that they were careful about the selection and training of their staff. 

I've been to CLI and Keats in the past. Both were good. CLI ticked all of the boxes that most short-term language students would want ticked, slicker than Keats but friendly too. Keats was maybe more idiosyncratic. I preferred Kunming to Guilin. But loved the few days I spent near Yangshuo after CLI.

June will be popular at both schools - you should double-check with CLI in particular that they've still got places.

8 hours ago, alayeer said:

And what do you say about the accommodation and location in each school? Is the school quite strategically located and is it easy for students to get around?

Keats is fairly central and has a bus stop outside the door. Easy connections to most of the city. Not far to an entrance to the metro 地铁。Construction (in varying stages) has made the neighborhood itself much less charming than it was when I first attended (2007.)

Accommodations are comfortable. Small room of your own with all amenities. Washing machine for clothes on the same floor. 

Thanks for the information. I'm starting to lean towards Keats now. Qualified teachers, good location, all-in services (meals, airport pickup, accommodation, etc).

CLI would be a perfect choice as well, but it's like $250 more expensive than Keats for the 2 weeks program.

By the way, if anyone has any information on Omeida in Yangshuo, I would love to hear it as well.