Chinese-Forums

Meaning of 'as it happens'

cometrue

and a late greeting to you all! Merry Christmas!

i had a question in english, "I'm just starting something up in that area, and I was looking for some capital, as it happens." what does it exactly mean the "as it happens"here? does it mean "as it always happens"? i m totally confused, could you give me a hand? thanks in advance!

Moving and adding useful title. Admin

I think this sentence would be clearer if I knew the sentence that came before this one, but, here is my opinion:

"I'm just starting up something in that area, (starting up a business) and I was looking for some capital, (looking for a way of making money) as it happens (by good fortune/ by coincidence/ by chance)."

In this sentence it doesn't mean 'as it always happens'. I think it means that the person saying this sentence has found out some information that will help them in 'looking for some capital' in 'that area'. The 'as it happens' part of the sentence could mean:

"Isn't it fortunate that you showed me a way of making capital, as I was just starting up a business in that area."

it could also mean 'by coincidence':

"I'm just starting something up in that area and by coincidence, I also found a way of making capital"

This sentence sounds like a reply to something you have said. I guess you must have told the person that you have a way for them to make capital in the area.

Now I'm thinking about this sentence too much, and I'm thinking of it in different ways. I'm starting to confuse myself. Someone else may be able to give a clearer interpretation (or completely destroy mine). I think I could give a clear answer if I knew the sentence that came before this one.

"I'm just starting up something in that area' date=' (starting up a business) and I was looking for some capital, (looking for a way of making money) as it happens (by good fortune/ by coincidence/ by chance)."

[/quote']

I think the capital here means "venture capital" or "risk capital", but not a way of making money or what...do u agree with me? :)

• 2 weeks later...