Chinese-Forums

Recommendations for Chinese language video games?

Mijin

2 hours ago, sekkar said:

I agree with you. It doesn't really make sense to me that tons of AAA get a Japanese (full audio) translation, while Chinese gets none. My understanding is that Japan is not really a huge market for western PC/console games anymore. If the Japanese market is big enough then surely China+Taiwan+some of Singapore and Malaysia should be big enough to get a translation as well?

This whole topic got derailed....

But anyway: a pretty big difference between the Japanese gaming market and the Chinese gaming market is that the Japanese developers dominate their own market, which make it a default to release everything with Japanese voiceover, therefore gamers in Japan accustomed to playing games in Japanese, making Western developers to release their games with Japanese voiceovers to be competitive on the market. The same cannot be said about Chinese developers.

It would be nice to hear some opinions here from Chinese gamers, but my (obviously limited number of) Chinese friends expressed that they did not care about Chinese VOs at all in video games, if there is Chinese subtitles it's perfect for them. The whole problem starts with the question whether Chinese dub really results in a boosted sales figure in the Chinese-speaking countries, compared to release a game with Chinese subs...

13 minutes ago, ZhangKaiRong said:

But anyway: a pretty big difference between the Japanese gaming market and the Chinese gaming market is that the Japanese developers dominate their own market, which make it a default to release everything with Japanese voiceover, therefore gamers in Japan accustomed to playing games in Japanese, making Western developers to release their games with Japanese voiceovers to be competitive on the market. The same cannot be said about Chinese developers.

It would be nice to hear some opinions here from Chinese gamers, but my (obviously limited number of) Chinese friends expressed that they did not care about Chinese VOs at all in video games, if there is Chinese subtitles it's perfect for them. The whole problem starts with the question whether Chinese dub really results in a boosted sales figure in the Chinese-speaking countries, compared to release a game with Chinese subs...

You are probably right. It could also be because translating to Japanese is "easy" as it's a known process, where all the needed infrastructure and personell is already in place.

5 hours ago, Mijin said:

Also there are some "games" of course intended for learning language, the most well-known being Influent. I bought it, but only played about 10 minutes. For me it was not really a game, just a not particularly-efficient studying resource.

Same here. Influent looked interesting at first but...

I find the free lessons on Du Chinese more interesting.

5 hours ago, Mijin said:

Skyrim for example, you can play in English with Chinese subtitles. XCOM2 I also tried to play this way and it was OK.

Thanks. I'll have a go at playing these with Chinese subtitles. But probably once I'm at a more advanced stage.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:32 PM, ZhangKaiRong said:

If you have a PS4, I also recommend the 龍が如く or Yakuza series (called 人之龙 in Chinese).

Glad to hear the Chinese localisation is good, as I wasn;t sure of the quality. Do you have to buy the game from the Chinese store in order to have the Chinese subtitles, or do all versions (PAL in my case) include Chinese?

18 hours ago, StChris said:

Glad to hear the Chinese localisation is good, as I wasn;t sure of the quality. Do you have to buy the game from the Chinese store in order to have the Chinese subtitles, or do all versions (PAL in my case) include Chinese?

Unfortunately, SEGA has always been following a special route in localized content, and only the regional copies include the corresponding subtitles. So, the international version has Japanese voiceover + English subtitles, the Japanese version has Japanese voiceover + Japanese subtitles, the Korean version has Japanese voiceover + Korean subtitles, and the Hong Kong/Taiwan/SEA version has Japanese voiceover + Chinese subtitles. I ordered the Hong Kong version of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza 6 from Play-Asia, otherwise the Hong Kong/Taiwan/Singapore PSN stores all have the Chinese version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I new gameplay trailer of Black Myth: Wukong was just released:

Black Myth: Wukong - Official Unreal Engine 5 Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

Although I'm usually a little jaded on anything based on the overused Journey to the West/Three Kingdoms stories, this is really lining up to be something special. It seems to be getting lots of positive reactions from non-Chinese audiences too.

Apparently, it's not due to be out until 2023, so it's going to be a long wait until we know for sure if it lives up to its potential.

• Like 1

Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York and Vampire the Masquerade: Shadows of New York are massively off (70-80% discount) on Steam / PS4 / and I guess on Xbox as well. These are visual novels, and they have Chinese language subtitles (at least Coteries have, I played one character's route in Chinese). Feels like an easy reading, so I recommend any fellow Chinese-savvy Methuselah to buy them.

• Like 1