Chinese-Forums

Is it necessary to change my Q2 visa to an X2 visa for Beida's semester Chinese program?

stultus

• New Members

Hello everyone, I'm a new poster here and I've been accepted into Beida's semester-long Chinese program for spring 2019. This program is from mid-February to mid-June; around four months. I currently have a multiple entry 10-year Q2 visa, which allows me to stay in China for less than 180 days at a time. I don't think there's any problems with my current visa, since Beida's website only specifies that students who plan to stay longer than a semester must have a X1 visa.

http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/ORIENTATION/English/BEFORE_YOULEAVE_HOME/Visa_Application.htm

However, their website also says this: 

(2) According to Chinese law and regulations, international students MUST register at universities with X1/X2 visa or residence permit issued by Chinese police stations. Students with other types of visa are NOT permitted to register. 

I'm assuming, then, that all I need is a residence permit (which I have previously received as a result of getting a Chinese driver's license) and there shouldn't be any problems, correct?