Chinese-Forums

Transcription Project

markhavemann

• 2 weeks later...

北京爱情故事

FULL SEASON ADDED. 39 Episodes.

Thanks to Flickserve for this wonderful contribution! 

These transcripts are fresh from the (Chinese) transcribing service and I know for a fact that they contain a few errors here and there and a few lines have been omitted (due to the process of extracting the hard subs to be sent off for extraction). So if you go through these and find errors please PM me to let me know so that I can update it in the files online. I will also be going through these as I watch the show (time permitting) and correcting them as best I can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flickserve said:

300 words gets to 73.9%,

400 words gets to 76.9%,

700 words to 83.7%

Interesting. It really is amazing the relatively small percentage of words that makes up almost all of what we hear and say. 

But I've found that often it's the last 10-20% of words that actually let you know what's going on. Sometimes it can make things even more frustrating because you are so close but just have no idea what someone is about despite understanding almost everything. 

Still, being at that stage is pretty good because often you can guess, and looking up 10% of the words isn't really a big deal.

I'll see about including stats like this in the excel spreadsheets because I think it would be pretty cool to see for everything. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, markhavemann said:

Interesting. It really is amazing the relatively small percentage of words that makes up almost all of what we hear and say. 

I would have to clarify that knowing these words doesn’t equate to being able to listen nor comprehend what’s going on! I think my comprehension is really down below 40% though it’s hard to assess because of contextual clues. 

Totally agree with you about those last few unknown words being crucial. I don’t know how it is for other languages but similarly for me and Chinese, those last couple of unknown words are like an all or nothing phenomena - if you didn’t know them, you don’t know anything on what is going on. 

1 hour ago, markhavemann said:

But I've found that often it's the last 10-20% of words that actually let you know what's going on

Yep.  98% is the apparently the magic number.

1 hour ago, markhavemann said:

I'll see about including stats like this in the excel spreadsheets because I think it would be pretty cool to see for everything.

I made a tool that can help with that.

• Like 2

鬼吹灯之精绝古城 E07 & E08 added. 

And just as an update, here are a few things currently in the works: 

• A bunch more 家有儿女 transcripts for season 1(probably only after Spring Festival)
  • 爱情公寓 complete Season 1 
  • A "Watching with transcripts" thread of 三国 
  • A "Watching with transcripts" thread of another show (I haven't decided yet) as I run out of 鬼吹灯之精绝古城 and am forced to slow down. 

If anybody is interested in creating a "Watching with Transcripts" thread for a show that they like, or would like to help out with proofreading or just going through and formatting transcripts please let me know. I have a bunch more transcripts that I only really want to put up once someone has gone through them and cleaned them up a bit (formatting at the very least, proofreading if possible). 

Also if you have shows that you would like to see transcribed please mention them. I'd like to create a wishlist and if enough people are interested in a show we can pool together and have it transcribed at a relatively low cost per person. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flickserve said:

Totally agree with you about those last few unknown words being crucial. I don’t know how it is for other languages but similarly for me and Chinese, those last couple of unknown words are like an all or nothing phenomena - if you didn’t know them, you don’t know anything on what is going on. 

I guess they are usually the big important words like verbs and nouns. I wonder if pre-studying vocabulary will help with this. It's actually why I started the whole transcription project thing.

Ironically I find that I need to watch an episode and correct the transcript (word groupings etc) to be able to generate a semi-accurate list of words that I would need to pre-study, but making pre-study impossible. Perhaps somebody else can comment if they have had experience with something like this. 

3 hours ago, imron said:

Yep.  98% is the apparently the magic number.

That does sound about right. Although I guess that applies to native level stuff in relatively unpredictable contexts. I think even with Pleco and a TV show that could easily go down to like 85% with still being able to enjoy what you are watching. Lower even if you have text to read along with and a smart in-line dictionary, although the amount of work you have to put in just to get through it goes up quite a lot.

3 hours ago, imron said:

I made a tool that can help with that.

I just had a look. Very nice, but I've actually made something relatively similar for myself as part of a bigger project that I'm working on. I have been using it generate statistics for the project so far.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've created a separate topic for 鬼吹灯之精绝古城. I'll be watching a few episodes every week and posting as I go. If anybody wants to join me please do!

Sounds great, I'm having trouble finding shows. Not sure if I should be looking in NF, Viki, torrent sites, Chinese torrent sites, youkan chinese youtube? 

Any tips? Chinese internet is my nemesis.

2 hours ago, BaneGlory said:

Oops I see the Candle in the Tomb Youtube playlist is in the post 

I can see how it could have been a little difficult to find that from the main post in the thread. I'll think of how to lay things out a little more obviously so everything is easily accessible without needing to go looking. 

If there are any other shows you are looking for and can't find (even if they don't have transcripts), you are welcome to post here too and someone will help you find a link. Knowing what shows people are interested in I think is useful for figuring out what to aim to get transcripts for next. 

• Helpful 1

I found a random assortment of transcripts for  爱情公寓 Season 2 episodes on the internet and I've added them to the project. 

As always, if you go through these and do any corrections/additions please send them to me so that I can update the project versions.

爱情公寓 Season 2 episodes added: 01, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20

@markhavemann thank you for these links! I was meant to just casually browse through them but ended up spending a good 20 minutes watchin家有儿女 ? What a great find! I'm a Mandarin learner myself and have always been frustrated at the lack of subtitles with hanzi+pinyin+english translations for Chinese TV shows, so I've just started my own project for this Taiwanese travel show called "Couchsurfing Around the World". 

In case you're interested, I've posted my progress so far on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/singingmandarin

P.S. After a month of doing translations for videos, I now realized why you can't really find subtitled Chinese videos where the pinyin aligns with the hanzi. It's such a time-consuming manual work since you have to manually adjust the spacing yourself! Even then, I still wish more people would do subtitles like this, since its such an effective learning tool!

Artboard 1@2x.png

• Like 2