Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

markhavemann

Transcription Project

BaneGlory

Any possibility of getting our hands on the Transcript for "Bad Kids" the Reddit forum seems effusive over how great it is (although I guess there are a few versions now) but here's the thread with a link to free 720p viewing of the show here on IQIYI.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

markhavemann
8 hours ago, BaneGlory said:

Any possibility of getting our hands on the Transcript for "Bad Kids" the Reddit forum seems effusive over how great it is (although I guess there are a few versions now) but here's the thread with a link to free 720p viewing of the show here on IQIYI.

Is that a real iQiyi site? It's the first time I've seen an English version. Looks like the whole series is up there (I just clicked a random episode). Amazingly there are soft subs, I'll have a look if I can grab them. 

For anyone who doesn't want to go to reddit first, here is a link to 隐秘的角落 (The Bad Kids) on what seems to be an English iQiyi site: 

https://www.iq.com/play/19rxta2pno

• Like 4

markhavemann

隐秘的角落 The Bad Kids (2020) - Full Series (12 Episodes)

I've added subs for this show. I really enjoyed watching it so I'm glad there are subs available. I've uploaded them to the drive and will update the main page of the project shortly. @BaneGlory

This time I've uploaded as an Excel spreadsheet (a new sheet for each episode), including timestamps for each line so they are easy to find. I thought about getting the English subs and putting them alongside but it's a a little labour intensive. If anybody wants this and is willing to help with a bit of the grunt work (probably no more than 20-30 minutes work) just let me know. 

• Like 4

markhavemann

As a side note, I guess iQiyi might be trying to target a wider audience with what looks like an English version of the website: 

https://www.iq.com/

Luckily this seems to break away from the annoying embedded/hard subtitles normally found in all Chinese shows. This means it's possible to extract them as text. If anybody is interested in other shows found on this site please let me know and I'll see what I can do. 

• Like 2

BaneGlory

Wow, amazing. Is it easy enough to throw up the Traditional subs too? (I have the New Tong Wen Tang extension and can convert them in browser, so I can get by without, but I'm afraid it breaks some of them).

Also, if anybody knows how to add these kinds of subs into LingQ.com let me know, my plan is just to copy column A and put it into the import lesson text box.

markhavemann
17 hours ago, BaneGlory said:

Wow, amazing. Is it easy enough to throw up the Traditional subs too? (I have the New Tong Wen Tang extension and can convert them in browser, so I can get by without, but I'm afraid it breaks some of them).

Added to the main Excel file (which I've moved into a folder of its own)

English can be found in separate text files too (but hasn't been added to the main excel file because they times don't seem to match with the Chinese)

BaneGlory

Thanks!

What to do with transcripts

See this discussion on how to use transcripts to study.

Also, I just realized the discussion on how to study is one of my threads, feels good to be mildly useful on this forum :)  I've gotten some ideas from MattvsJapan and LingoSteve lately, I'll consider updating it or adding a comment. I haven't gotten into use Pleco Fcards or CTA, although I do think the CTA is a good tool. I think LingQ.com is a pretty useful tool for reading the transcripts in context, this I do, it's pretty brainless. And it seems like there are poweruser ways to make whole sentence flashcards with his his 'MIA addons' and review them , and you can also make mp3 files to practice listening to condensed(less than half the length of the show) audio only versions of your shows and movies. 

markhavemann
6 hours ago, BaneGlory said:

And it seems like there are poweruser ways to make whole sentence flashcards with his his 'MIA addons' and review them

This looks pretty cool, pity that Netflix is kind of a nightmare to get working in China with a VPN (lots of stuff has Chinese dubs too) 

You can get selectable subtitles like this on the iQiyi (international) site too:

1. Pause the video when some subtitles are visible. 

2. Press Ctrl+Shift+C to get the site inspector tool (Chrome). 

3. Hover over the subtitles (you will see them highlighted in blue).

4. Click on them. They will now be selected in the developer tools below. 

5. On the right hand side you will see
iqp, iqpdiv {

display: block;

6. Copy this line to the clipboard:

user-select: text;

7. Click to the right of "block;" to add a new line.

8. Paste.

9. You can now select the subtitles as they play. 

If reloading the page stops the media player controls from showing up, press Ctrl+F5. You will need to repeat the steps to get selectable subtitles again. 

This is for Chrome but it would be similar in other browsers. 

Edit: Here is a Chrome extension to capture audio playing in the current tab. Not the most convenient but it works: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-audio-capture/kfokdmfpdnokpmpbjhjbcabgligoelgp

• Like 1

BaneGlory

For those interested in upping their Beijing/Dongbei/erhua listening/culture skills, Siyi's Playlist:

The Beijing-born-woman who finally got me into really plowing ahead and learning Chinese, recommends a playlist of older shows and youtube channels for learning, or at least getting used to the dialect:

Anyone have any experience with any of these shows?  List in a Gsheet if that's easier for you to look at.

• Any good?
    • Haven't had a chance to search douban.com yet.
  • Transcripts out there?
    • I haven't had a chance yet to cross reference this project yet I admit. 
    • The Great http://jiong3.com/ website/resource might also have an exportable vocab list but again I haven't checked.