Chinese-Forums

Taipei Language Institute

droppedchopsticks

I had a group class there for one semester, and since then I've been back many times (over several years) for one-on-one lessons.  I'm pretty happy with them.  They are very flexible, so you can study whatever you want - simplified or traditional characters, your own textbooks or theirs.  Most of the teachers are good.  There are one or two teachers doing the one-on-one lessons who I really didn't get on with, but you can ask them to change your teacher if you aren't happy.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

For the past 5 years I've been going to the TLI nearly every year, usually for about 2-3 weeks of lessons at a time.  It would obviously be more efficient to stay for longer, but I live in Europe and work full time.  I'm just learning Chinese in my own time as a hobby.  I'm sure my friends think I'm crazy for using up my annual leave to go and sit in a classroom learning a language (and one I don't really have any need to learn), but I really enjoy it :)

I have also tried the Harbin Mandarin School (or whatever it is called now) for a 2 week session.  The teachers there were also very good, but besides the ice festival I didn't enjoy Harbin as much as Taipei.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Can I ask what was it about the one on one teacher you didnt like? I like strict teachers who make me do homework... 

There was just one teacher that I wasn't happy with.  I often got the impression she wasn't really paying attention.  Sometimes she would mutter to herself, or go off on surprising tangents that were very hard to follow.   The other teachers are great though!  If you end up getting someone you don't get on with, just have a quiet word with the people on the front desk and they'll find you someone else.

If you book one-on-one lessons it's up to you to decide your curriculum.  So if you want homework, ask them to give you homework.  You can use their textbooks or bring your own and do the exercises from them with the teachers. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1