Chinese-Forums

Forgetting the word by the time it’s explained

Flickserve

I have a poor memory for sounds. For instance, when a person explains a word to me using Chinese, by the end of the sentence, I have forgotten the sound of that word.

Obviously, the teacher wants to use Chinese to explain things as much as possible but I find that still doesn’t help that much because I have incomplete understanding of the explanation (mandarin A2/B1 level). It happens in Mandarin and also Cantonese in which I am fairly proficient in. 

A number of you have probably experienced this. Would like to ask your own strategies and experiences. 

In a group class, I note down the pinyin of the word while the teacher is explaining the meaning, then afterwards (if the teacher hasn't shown how to write it), I look it up in Pleco. If I didn't hear it correctly or forgot what I heard, I just ask the teacher to repeat it or write it down.

In a 1 to 1 class, I would ask the teacher to repeat the word after the explanation, then repeat it myself and try to make a sentence with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flickserve said:

A number of you have probably experienced this. Would like to ask your own strategies and experiences. 

Tofu learn, contains both character writing and recognition. Most of the words are pronounced in the free version. It has this daily streak things for each deck that forces you to repeat. Helpful for poor memories. Did I mention it's totally FREE?

https://www.tofulearn.com/

• Like 1

If there is a target word you definitely want to remember, use the (free!) LINE dictionary app to find a few practice sentences. Then write the sentences a few times for the next few days, and you will surely remember. You can also ask for practice sentences from Chinese speakers on apps like HelloTalk. But just like in high school, more writing will go a long way in helping you truly express yourself.

• Like 1