Chinese-Forums

One company made Z-visa for me, but then they decided not to hire me because they hired too many teachers. Can I enter China with this Z visa and get a work permit with another company?

perlinskiy

• New Members

Hi friends,

I have recently stamped a Z-visa in my passport with one company in China. I have made it in my home country where I am now. I already wanted to book a ticket when a hiring company gave me a flimsy excuse about the political situation of my country resulting in their inability to get a work permit for me once I am in China. Actually, I think they have just closed their vacancies with other teachers.

Now I want to know whether I can enter China with this Z-visa and apply for the work permit with another company? Or my new company needs to issue a new Employment Confirmation Notification (or whatever it's called) and I need to stamp a new Z-visa in Chinese Embassy in my country before entering China?

Looking forward to see your opinions,
Thanks a lot!

• New Members

Hi, I can't help answer your question but I've also been offered a job teaching.. I would like to ask which company has reneged on their agreement? I haven't booked my flight yet and reading about your situation makes me fearful of something similar happening to me. The flight is going to cost big bucks. If the same thing happened to me my whole life would be completely screwed as I'm going to be borrowing money from people I wouldn't be able to pay back, were such a scenario was to unfold.

I am pretty sure a Z visa is tied to your employer. Much like the eventual residence permit is. 

You could maybe enter the country on it but it would be a waste of time. A different company to the one who got you the visa wouldn’t be able to hire you. You’d likely have to leave and reapply for a Z visa with their documents from within your home country. 

Just stay home and find another job. 

I wouldn't do it, expect *possibly* for an employer I was very confident in. The work visa isn't just 'you can come and work in China', it's 'you can come and work in China, doing a certain job, for a certain company'. I'd be looking for a new employer, although I suspect this will still cause problems when the new employer tries to get you a work visa and the computer shows you already have one...

Where are you from? The political situation explanation isn't impossible...

11 hours ago, agewisdom said:

Do Chinese hiring companies do that often?

No, it's usually the employees changing their mind.

@Alexican

As Roddy says, usually prospective teachers or employees reneging, not turning up or ghosting the employer. 

I wouldn't worry about this.

If you think your new employer seems dodgy and might do something like this when why agree to fly across the world to work for them? 

As with any job like this, it’s excellent practice to ask the employer to provide contact details of current teachers (not supervisors, managers) that you can get in touch with to ask any questions and get a feel of what it’s like working for them / in that location. If any employer/school doesn’t willingly give this information to you, then that should set alarm bells ringing in itself. It’s a pretty standard request. Ideally you’d do this kind of thing way before you get to the point of needing to book flights and even pre-contract. 

If you haven't done it then do it now. Get a wechat account first if you don’t already.  When you email the current teacher first time, include that as an option for them to communicate with you if they would like. Explain email is also totally fine if they’d find that easier.  

• New Members

@ChTTay

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't worried about it until reading the original post on this thread.

It's a big company and I've had lots of contact with the recruitment officer for the school. I don't think they are dodgy at all and the previous replies to the OP (as well as your reply) suggest a reneged agreement is a rare occurance. It's a new career direction for me, and so is the destination. I'm probably thinking of worst case scenarios as I'm so keen to get out here and do this. I'm quite at ease now. Thanks again ?