Chinese-Forums

The 2019 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

Tomsima

3 hours ago, lakesandrivers said:

1. Prepare four drafts, every quarter as a milestone, for a science fiction novel I will finish writing by the end of this year.

This demands a brief introduction! Care to tell us something about the plot?

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

11 hours ago, Alex_Hart said:

This demands a brief introduction!

这个嘛。。暂时不好说,说不好,不说好。嘻嘻!

2 hours ago, emuboy said:

gl with GAMSAT mate, pure torture lol

Might be for the last time. So many decisions, so exciting 宁做太平犬,莫做乱离人

21 hours ago, BearXiong said:

I'm starting to reach a point where I can learn words through reading/listening, but I still think Anki's just too effective to give up.

What if you feed Anki with words you encounter while reading/listening?

Lu, I think adding words encountered while reading/listening is very effective and what I plan to do. I guess I just meant learning those words through repeated encounters without SRSing them. For example in the last couple of months when I stopped adding words to Anki I still learnt a bunch of words naturally, but I think if I made flashcards as well I'd have learnt even more.

My word deck has close to 6000 words. So far most words that I know are the ones I added to Anki. I'm hoping to transition away from that, where I use reading as a natural SRS and way to learn vocab, and have Anki as merely a supplementary tool to help learn hard to remember words. Not sure if it'll work but that's what I've been thinking.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, emuboy said:

1. Maintain 1-2 hours of Chinese study during weekdays and 3-4 hours Sat/Sund for the year.

That's seriously some commitment when also studying medicine. However, if this includes casual interaction with Mandarin speakers on language exchange or social events, then yes, it's possible for that weekday routine ....but I definitely have my doubts on 8 hours of Chinese on weekends. 

I remember going to Brisbane about 20 years ago. I dropped into a badminton club and there were already quite a few mainlanders there. Badminton is a really popular sport amongst Chinese people and I can imagine even more now hitting the courts. 

40 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

E) will try to get through a drama

good goal, what kind of thing are you thinking? maybe we can recommend one and you can get started right away. Get all your key vocab down in the first episode, then just sit back, and gradually piece the story together. If you like 武俠 I just finished watching 天龍八部 (this one) which I found really enjoyable and stress free. I'm currently on a bit of a 金庸 spree, watching 鹿鼎記 (this one) at the moment, which is pretty funny and might be good for you comparing the Cantonese and Mandarin too.

47 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

B) Shadowing

good goal, good luck

On 1/5/2019 at 3:16 AM, BearXiong said:

Not sure if it'll work but that's what I've been thinking.

You might find this post (and linked threads) useful.  In short, yes it does work and in my opinion it's far more effective than Anki alone, and in fact should be prioritised over SRS reviews e.g. if you have 30 minutes free, you'll be better off reading for 30 mins than doing Anki reps for 30 mins.

• Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Tomsima said:

good goal, what kind of thing are you thinking? maybe we can recommend one and you can get started right away. Get all your key vocab down in the first episode, then just sit back, and gradually piece the story together.

I am far below your level with those ancient history dramas. I can’t even do those In Cantonese.

Nevertheless, my resolve is to force myself to watch more media even though I am a rare media watcher. Just need to build up my basic vocabulary base with cartoons and other media.

For dramas, I want to start off with 北京愛情的故事。I watched a bit of that a while ago and found it interesting but my level was far too low at that time. See how it goes from there. There is plenty of media out there such as 快乐汉语,

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, murrayjames said:

I resolve to read one million or more Chinese characters in books and articles in 2019.

An excellent goal that is both super inspiring and also not as difficult as it sounds.

This is probably around 4-8 novels worth (depending on the size of the novel, which typically range from 125,000-250,000 characters), and reading a book a month would get you around 3-4 million characters by the end of the year (see here for some more specific figures).