Chinese-Forums

The 2019 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

Tomsima

21 minutes ago, roddy said:

I've been trying 12-week years for... well, just over half of one

really interesting idea, let us know how it goes. id be really interested in trying this out if you see a really noticeable difference in results

1 hour ago, roddy said:

So aim for an 84 day chain, then reassess.

It’s a good idea, but honestly I think the goals which work for me are the real world hard-and-fast ones, like exams and travel plans. Day-to-day motivation has never been a problem.

It’s probably too early to say, but is the 12 week year working for you?

Right now my only goal is to do the parts I enjoy and make friends I want to stay in touch with. In past visits I’ve been panicked about speaking all Chinese all the time, but this year I’m just going with the flow. If I make good friends with people who speak mostly English, eh, it’s fine, I’ll end up coming across their friends who most likely won’t. Paradoxically my best times there have been playing games like Cards Against Humanity with great people.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tomsima said:

id be really interested in trying this out if you see a really noticeable difference in results

So far I'm liking it. I'm not going to pretend I've done everything I've set out to, but I've probably done more than I would have otherwise.

15 hours ago, AdamD said:

It’s a good idea, but honestly I think the goals which work for me are the real world hard-and-fast ones, like exams and travel plans. 

Absolutely, and where I have something like that coming up I'll work around it rather than some arbitrary date. But if an exam date is 9 months in the future, I need some kind of milestone, artificial or not, between that and now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, Tomsima said:

really interesting idea, let us know how it goes. id be really interested in trying this out if you see a really noticeable difference in results

I'm liking it! I added in a six-week review to keep an eye on how I'm doing. So far I'm doing fairly well - won't say I've hit all targets, but I've had at least a respectable effort, and the ones I've completely missed I can set aside for a later date. 

Running: Doing good. Run as far so far in 2019 as I did in the entirety of 2018, and got my 5km time down to 27m, 30s faster than I was aiming for. Next stop, 25m, which puts me about as fast as I was in 2016, last year I did any substantial running. Hopefully get there end of June and then decide what to do for the rest of the year. Going up to 4 runs a week now the weather's nicer. 

Spanish. I love learning Spanish. I've started doing it a dozen times now. But been more regular so far this year, and am (in 7 minutes) trying out online tutoring for the first time. 

Music: Put in decent hours, did ok in a couple of very amateur performances. Stalled a bit after that, but can restart now with new goals set. 

Meditation: Did a good few weeks, but then drifted off course. Not going to worry about it, scrapping this for now as I don't feel too much of a need for it. 

Outdoors: Hoping to do 28 nights in the tent in 2019. None so far. Kind of ok, as it's the colder months and this is always going to be a summer thing, but if I'd been more organised I could have got a few nights ticked off.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, 艾墨本 said:

My second goal has transformed in a brilliant way. I'm now going hard on pronunciation with a wonderful tutor. The goal: pass the 普通话水平测试(二甲). I'm spending about an hour a day working on past problems that have cemented pretty deep in my pronunciation. So progress is slow but rewarding.

Will be interested in the details.

8 minutes ago, imron said:

DuckDuckGo has a link on the first page of results (but in the bottom half).  Google has a link to the book as the top result.

I'm in China ? Have used more Baidu and Bing in the last three weeks than in the last three years.

• 1 month later...