Chinese-Forums

Keyboard shortcuts in Pleco

Shelley

As I said in the 2019 aims topic I was going to get to grips with Pleco this year.

I decided it would be quicker and easier to type my word list into Pleco on my tablet using my Bluetooth keyboard I have that works well with it. I wondered if there are any keyboard shortcuts for things like create a card and switch to handwriting etc. It would speed up things if there was.

Thanks for any help.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roddy said:

I suspect the really quick way is to type it up on the computer and import it into Pleco...

I agree. I would type the wordlist up as a .txt file, save it to Google Drive, and then use Pleco's "File Reader" feature to open and view it.

I'm not sure Pleco has keyboard shortcuts... most of its users aren't using bluetooth keyboards.

The Pleco feature I probably use the most is the clipboard monitor. With this feature turned on, whenever I copy any Chinese text on my phone it automatically opens up Pleco to look it up.

Besides that, I recommend downloading a few high quality paid dictionaries if you can.

Thanks for all your suggestions, Pleco forums is my next stop I guess. It might not be possible to do what I was hoping to do. I can live with the way it is. Using the keyboard makes it so much quicker that having the use the screen for a couple of things is not a hardship.

I am cloudaphopic so don't use google drive. I can still use a memory stick and do it that way but it seems way too convoluted. 

Its simple enough to type in Pinyin, choose correct entry, press + , card created. Make a category first and set up adding to that category. Job done.

Keyboard shortcuts are actually not an area we've seen a lot of user interest in so it's not something we've spent much time on.

However, with 2019 being the Year Of Desktop Pleco thanks to Project Marzipan, I expect we'll finally be able to justify spending some time on keyboard optimizations later this year. (we had hoped that Android-on-Chromebook would give us some new desktop users, but at the moment Chromebook is 0.1% of our Android installed base, so while they're a cheery enthusiastic lot they're not really a significant market for us business-wise)

For now, if you're trying to compose flashcards in bulk I'd definitely do it on desktop, yes. Or in a keyboard-shortcut-friendly spreadsheet app on your tablet.

• Helpful 1

I have always encountered problems importing word lists, either ones I have made or ones from the forum.

Its really just the same typing it straight into Pleco as it is it typing it on to spreadsheet without all that mucking about in hyperspace importing and exporting lists.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will just carry on as I am.

Looking forward to Desktop Pleco.

I don't think Pleco is difficult to use, anyway there are many features so it's worth taking a look at the documentation on the website that is fairly good. I also suggest creating the wordlist on the computer and then importing it on the phone. It's just a text file with UTF-8 encoding and every entry should follow this format:

characters{tab}Pinyin pronunciation{tab]definition

You can fill all the fields or just write the characters and then Pleco will add pinyin and definition by itself by using the dictionaries when you import it.

You basically just need to have the text file on your phone, there are plenty of ways: copying the file over to your phone by connecting your phone to the computer using a usb cable, using airdrop if you have a Mac and an Iphone, sending the file through email and then downloading it from the phone or using Pleco's web upload function that uses wifi. Then you import the file and done.

I'm also looking forward to an official desktop version of Pleco. It is actually possible to run Pleco on your computer by emulating the Android stack even if I didn't try it yet (see Bluestacks or other alternatives if you are interested) anyway it isn't as good as an official Desktop version and it would be cool if the desktop and the mobile app could be kept in sync, especially as the flashcard system is concerned.

@fabiothebest I agree Pleco is not difficult to use and yes the documentation and help is very good.

I have been using Pleco for over 10 years. I had an xda phone running windows for mobile 6 and ran Pleco on that. I don't claim to know everything but I am not scared of it.

As I am using a tablet and not a phone its much easier to do it all on the tablet and leave out all the transferring, importing and exporting things.  although the onscreen keyboard is okay, the little Bluetooth keyboard is just nicer and a bit quicker to type on.

Doing it direct in to Pleco all you have to do is type the pinyin, choose the correct entry, press + and you have created a card, actually much easier than text file or excel and exporting . if you get the format wrong, its a headache. 

I am making good progress so far,  completed the first list. Now to spend time running through all the possible test permutations a few times and get them embedded in my memory.

• Like 1

Ha, the fates are against me. Yesterday I turned my tablet on to start some tests with Pleco and find out my SD card has died. No Pleco, no lists, no lots of other things, At least I will have everything since the last back up, but not what put in the last 2 days.

Oh well new card on order, will have to make up for it when it arrives.