Chinese-Forums

新年 - 日記

EC

• New Members

Hi ~ I'm a new member, and I've decided to try and improve my Chinese this year by beginning a journal completely in Mandarin. I was wondering if anyone could help me check my first entry? Criticism is welcome ~ any awkward phrasing, any improperly used vocabulary, grammar, etc. Note that I use traditional Chinese, not simplified. Thank you so much for your help ~~

PS - it is kind of cringey haha, I'm still not very comfortable writing in Chinese, but hopefully that will change as the year goes on.

IMG_8284[1].JPG

Maybe the first improvement you can do is to get familiar with some double-object verbs. Like "buy me a gift", don't say "买我一个礼物". You should say "我买了一个礼物" or "买了一个礼物我". Usually, you can always add 给 before the recipient object.

• New Members
On 1/3/2019 at 5:07 PM, EnergyReaper said:

Maybe the first improvement you can do is to get familiar with some double-object verbs. Like "buy me a gift", don't say "买我一个礼物". You should say "我买了一个礼物" or "买了一个礼物我". Usually, you can always add 给 before the recipient object.

Ahh, I see, thank you for letting me know ~ would 买我一个礼物 be considered incorrect, or is it just awkward sounding? 

11 hours ago, 大块头 said:

I've been keeping a journal in Chinese too. I usually post my entries to HelloTalk for corrections by native speakers.

Also, you got your date wrong. What an inauspicious start to the new year! ?

AHH thank you for telling me, I was looking everywhere for the site, but I just couldn't remember the name, so I ended up coming here. Also omg I honestly would've written the entire year with 2018 if you hadn't pointed it out probably HAHA thank you ~

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EC said:

Ahh, I see, thank you for letting me know ~ would 买我一个礼物 be considered incorrect, or is it just awkward sounding? 

I think it's incorrect because it may cause an ambiguity like "You buy a gift from me"