Chinese-Forums

Old HSK Mock Tests?

CherrylS

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of taking the HSK 6 exam, but everyone says the practice exams are easier than the real test.

I heard on the forums that the old HSK was much harder.

Is there any old HSK practice tests that exist with audio?

I think it could be useful to practice something harder so that the real test feels easier in contrast.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Old study material may still be available, such as this. I'm sure there must be some somewhere online, but might take a bit of searching. 

I'm not sure how valuable this would be for taking the new HSK - the old HSK, fond as I was of the thing, was quite flawed. Treat it as a separate thing, rather than preparation for the new HSK, would be my advice.

• Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, roddy said:

I'm not sure how valuable this would be for taking the new HSK - the old HSK, fond as I was of the thing, was quite flawed.

Care to elaborate on this roddy? Genuinely curious. Or direct me to the post discussing this?

There's plenty of discussion on the old HSK if you do some searching. Add terms like 'hanban' and 'blcu' for the politics. But the old HSK, if I'm remembering correctly, had no speaking until advanced, and almost no writing (was it just a few characters in the 初中 test? Or sentences?).

I wonder if one of the purposes for taking mock tests is not just the actual material to be tested, but to familiarise yourself with the format, layout and working under time constraints. This means when you take the test you concentrate on the content and not the format.

For this reason I would want to practise with the latest version possible so it stands a chance of being the same or at least very similar.

My driving instructor put me in for my test a bit early but it was just before Xmas and meant that there would be a 3 week gap before more lessons and his logic was that I would know what the test would be like second time round so the nerves from the test would not be from the unknown but just the skills needed. I did fail as he expected, but he was right, second time breezed through and passed. This was all years ago but I do think the strategy is still good for all kinds of tests/exams.

I guess it's mainly curiosity and for the challenge. I'll follow the advice of sticking to current material, but if anyone knows where to obtain older mocker tests feel free to post them!

Also thank you very much Roddy for the link! 

I was looking through the wayback machine and I did found an audio sample, but couldn't find the accompanying test.

I saw some on Amazon, but I heard somewhere's you have to make sure the tape is included because they are usually sold separately.

14 hours ago, roddy said:

There's plenty of discussion on the old HSK if you do some searching. Add terms like 'hanban' and 'blcu' for the politics. But the old HSK, if I'm remembering correctly, had no speaking until advanced, and almost no writing (was it just a few characters in the 初中 test? Or sentences?).

Right, will do.