Chinese-Forums

Apps and websites for 口语 (Speaking)?

hoshinoumi

I'd love any suggestions regarding apps, websites and other technologies that teach, practice or help us improve Chinese Speaking. Looking for as many suggestions as possible, for all kinds of levels and ages. Thanks in advance!

As @Tomsima said Italki is very useful because it allows you to connect with language exchange partners, community tutors or professional teachers. Lessons or exchanges usually are done on Skype or other instant messaging programs. Also look at the mobile app Tandem, anyway I prefer using the computer, but it's just a personal preference. Pimsleur also allows you to practice speaking (not by conversing with other people, but by drilling sentences and reusing sentence patterns to make your own sentences). Alternatives are Assimil or the Michael Thomas audio course. Glossika uses mass repetition in order to let you acquire sentence patterns and vocabulary by repeating the same sentences again and again. Speechling helps you perfect your pronunciation. There are also books with audio CDs for practicing 口语, otherwise you can watch TV series or movies, download subtitles or transcribe dialogues and then use programs like Audacity to shadow dialogues. Remember that for getting good at speaking and conversation you need, not only a good pronunciation (including rhythm), but also a solid vocabulary base and good listening skills. You can't participate to a conversation if you don't understand what the other person says. Nothing beats speaking to a native speaker or even better a Chinese teacher. As we said, you can easily find classes also online if you don't have access to a teacher near you or a Chinese friend or if you have got a busy schedule and prefer doing everything from home by using the computer.

If other parts of learning are allowed, then I would suggest HelloChinese, it covers all aspects of learning Chinese but has more speaking and listening than I had come come across in an app like this before.

It has a very rigorous acceptance level of correct pronunciation, it can be frustrating but worth it when you get it right. It has some game based additional premium levels that are entertaining but make you work.

• Like 1