Chinese-Forums

Watching With Transcripts: 鬼吹灯之精绝古城 (Candle in the Tomb)

markhavemann

Wow, kinda interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like quite a lot of work involved.

Would it be easier to work with older Chinese TV series that already have english subtitles and translations? Especially the more popular and interesting TV series? I'm thinking Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2010 series would be a good one as well.

51 minutes ago, agewisdom said:

I'm thinking Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2010 series would be a good one as we

Are the subtitles available? If you have them, that would definitely be cool.

6 hours ago, markhavemann said:

If anybody else is interested in watching along with me, this thread can be a place for asking questions and sharing thoughts

Will have a go. Work has been pretty exhausting this week though. 

34 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

Are the subtitles available? If you have them, that would definitely be cool.

There are subtitles in English but they're from Jianghu and hard coded. I recall the quality of the subtitles from Jianghu was great. So, most of the work is done, we just need the Chinese transcript or subtitles.

I'm not sure about the availability of Chinese subtitles in SRT format. Perhaps somewhere here can upload the Chinese subtitles if it's available. It would be fun to participate in creating the transcript.

Previous discussion here:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55971-three-kingdoms-tv-movies/?tab=comments#comment-431780

Maybe we can create another thread specifically for the Three Kingdoms 2010 project if enough people are interested.

I would also like to see Romance of the Three Kingdoms done. Looks like there are transcripts available which I'll be adding to the project once I've gone through them a little to verify. I'll see what I can do to get a thread going for the Three Kingdoms soon. 

When I do I'll post it on the main Transcription Project thread: 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/57644-transcription-project/

I procured some English subs for anybody who is interested. I don't know how accurate or good they are but they may be a useful study aid. Personally I am too stubborn to use them but they can be found in the Google Drive folder. 

Episode 5 added. A little dense (language-wise) at the end. I didn't really try too hard to follow the monologue at the end and didn't follow much of it but it didn't really detract from the episode. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the long break in updates. Episode 7 has been added. 

I've also included a link to a tool that I created to help me to get through TV shows and books. It basically has the transcripts below the video, sentences are broken up into words intelligently (and further checked by me to the best of my Chinese ability). Words can be clicked on to look them up in the dictionary (or arrow keys used to navigate the cursor to them).

You probably need the latest Chrome or Firefox to be able to view it properly. Hopefully someone else will find it as useful as I do. Let me know if you encounter any errors or have any feedback. 

There is a link above but I will include one again here

• Like 1

Episode 7 & 8 added. 

I'm probably going to add only one episode every week or two now as I only have text transcripts for the first 10 episodes. As finances allow I will have more transcribed, but probably slowly. (of course, if anybody would like to contribute it is like 20rmb/3USD an episode). 

In the mean time I will be starting another series soon and run the two concurrently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imron said:

And how should people contribute?

Good question. RMB in WeChat or Alipay would be best but Paypal for other currencies will work fine too. I'm not sure if sending money to a stranger would make some people nervous but I can't think of a more transparent way of doing it than just getting it directly.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 1:42 AM, markhavemann said:

Good question. RMB in WeChat or Alipay would be best but Paypal for other currencies will work fine too

Thanks for the answer, but you're not making it easy here :mrgreen: I still don't know which specific WeChat, Alipay or Paypal account I should make a donation to (Paypal preferred for me, but presumably others would be interested in the WeChat and Alipay accounts).