Chinese-Forums

Beautiful song & mesmerizing voice - Looking for similar

TotalGrief

10 hours ago, TotalGrief said:

Does anybody have any recommendations of anything similar? 

The clip is a performance of the ballet The Red Detachment of Women - one of the most popular pieces of Cultural Revolution art promoted by Qiang Jing, Chairman Mao's wife, and member of the infamous Gang of Four. The song itself is based on very old folk tunes which were adapted for revolutionary purposes at the time.

Here are a few playlists from You Tube. It's a mixed bag, but hopefully will give you an overview of China's rich folk music tradition. Enjoy! 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=中国民间歌曲

2 hours ago, Luxi said:

The clip is a performance of the ballet The Red Detachment of Women - one of the most popular pieces of Cultural Revolution art promoted by Qiang Jing, Chairman Mao's wife, and member of the infamous Gang of Four. The song itself is based on very old folk tunes which were adapted for revolutionary purposes at the time.

Thank you very kindly - I've looked up the ballet mentioned and it's a delight.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Publius said:

No, this is not 《红色娘子军》. This is 《草原女民兵》. Here's the original.

The music is distinctively Mongolian. Search 蒙古族民歌 or Mongolian folk song for more.

I owe you a ton for tracking the original down, I knew it was Mongolian but had no idea where to start.  Many many thanks!

@TotalGrief I seem to have inadvertently misinformed you, but I'm very glad you enjoyed the ballet. Actually, the version I watched had an almost identical number of women dancing a round with rifles in their hands, possibly many of those Revolutionary Ballets had staple numbers. I only ever watched The Red Detachment of Women, which still is a good example of the shows in that period.

@Publius thank you for enlightening me! I also gained a much broader perspective of Mongolian folk music (hitherto limited to throat music).