Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
TotalGrief

Beautiful song & mesmerizing voice - Looking for similar

TotalGrief

https://youtu.be/ts1GiThWF6Q?t=183

I was watching the movie Youth the other night and absolutely loved this song from it..  Does anybody have any recommendations of anything similar?  Sort of traditional instrumentation with female vocals over the top.  Thanks in advance!

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

anonymoose

Just look up 革命歌曲 and you'll find loads.

For example this.

Luxi
10 hours ago, TotalGrief said:

Does anybody have any recommendations of anything similar? 

The clip is a performance of the ballet The Red Detachment of Women - one of the most popular pieces of Cultural Revolution art promoted by Qiang Jing, Chairman Mao's wife, and member of the infamous Gang of Four. The song itself is based on very old folk tunes which were adapted for revolutionary purposes at the time.

Here are a few playlists from You Tube. It's a mixed bag, but hopefully will give you an overview of China's rich folk music tradition. Enjoy! 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=中国民间歌曲

江青 Jiang Qing.

How quickly people forget.

• Like 2

Luxi

:oops:

... but some things are best forgotten...:conf

TotalGrief
2 hours ago, Luxi said:

The clip is a performance of the ballet The Red Detachment of Women - one of the most popular pieces of Cultural Revolution art promoted by Qiang Jing, Chairman Mao's wife, and member of the infamous Gang of Four. The song itself is based on very old folk tunes which were adapted for revolutionary purposes at the time.

Thank you very kindly - I've looked up the ballet mentioned and it's a delight.  

• Like 1

Publius

No, this is not 《红色娘子军》. This is 《草原女民兵》. Here's the original.

The music is distinctively Mongolian. Search 蒙古族民歌 or Mongolian folk song for more.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

TotalGrief
10 hours ago, Publius said:

No, this is not 《红色娘子军》. This is 《草原女民兵》. Here's the original.

The music is distinctively Mongolian. Search 蒙古族民歌 or Mongolian folk song for more.

I owe you a ton for tracking the original down, I knew it was Mongolian but had no idea where to start.  Many many thanks!

Luxi

@TotalGrief I seem to have inadvertently misinformed you, but I'm very glad you enjoyed the ballet. Actually, the version I watched had an almost identical number of women dancing a round with rifles in their hands, possibly many of those Revolutionary Ballets had staple numbers. I only ever watched The Red Detachment of Women, which still is a good example of the shows in that period.

@Publius thank you for enlightening me! I also gained a much broader perspective of Mongolian folk music (hitherto limited to throat music).