Chinese-Forums

Chinese news podcasts for learners

Luxi

44 minutes ago, agewisdom said:

Is it available on Android

I don't think so. It used to be available even in Google Play, but stopped about 2 years ago. The only way is to install it from Chinese OS and then you'll get no end of constant and very alarming security warnings - no security warnings at all in Windows or iOS. 

You can try using Ximalaya.com through your browser, have a look in Firefox or Opera or Edge. You'll still get warnings, I suppose, and a not very functional  browsing experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luxi said:

You can try using Ximalaya.com through your browser, have a look in Firefox or Opera or Edge. You'll still get warnings, I suppose, and a not very functional  browsing experience.

Many thanks for the information.

Yes, a lot of these apps aren't available on Google play, sigh.

17 hours ago, agewisdom said:

Is it available on Android based on International Version? Most of the time, these apps are only available on China based Android OS.

you don't need a chinese phone. Most chinese apps I use don't come from play store, including wechat etc. Just use a chinese app store (豌豆荚,应用宝 etc ) or download the apps directly. Once you set android to allow external apps to install you are good to go. Lots of legitimate apps need to be downloaded like this

• Like 1

@mungouk thanks! I just checked, the app is also back in the UK Google Play Store. Good to know, I hope it stopped nagging about security concerns. I'm still happy with the iPad and I can make purchases in Ximalaya and other Chinese apps easily through the Apple store. 

However, there are some useful functions and possible combinations with a web browser that I can't see in the iPad, like the 0.75% speed and the AI box where it occurs in the PC browser.