Chinese-Forums

Living in Rural Beijing

Jim

We've moved right out to the sticks in far Shunyi and are renting a decent-sized compound for 1,000 a month. There's bus into town only takes an hour but doesn't run too late at night. Village is nothing special but the air is great and since i work from home the peace and quiet suit me. 

Admin note: Split from here

• Like 1

@DavyJonesLocker It's definitely pleasant on a day like today, own big yard with a veg patch in the sunshine. We did also spend a bit on doing it up and signed a longer contract partly because of that but have a friend in the village who rented an even larger one for not much more that was fine to move straight in. Even if you add the cost of what we spent on the kitchen and bathroom etc it's nothing a month over the length of the contract and you get so much space compared to an apartment, but obviously it's not city living so wouldn't suit everyone. If you're in a position like me where you only need to be in town occasionally it's ideal if you don't mind the quiet, especially now you can buy almost anything you want online - they deliver to the shop just down the road and you fetch stuff from there. There's some wooded hills not far behind and the area is mostly fruit orchards. 

• Like 3

It's one of the villages around 下西市 which is on the 942 bus line to Dongzhimen. There's also the 856 takes you to the subway at 天通苑. 

ETA Interestingly chatting to the neighbours there's a couple of retired Beijingers who have rented weekend retreats out here for a while, so we're not even the first wave of incomers.

@Jimthat is out a bit, but indeed a much more peaceful life and cleaner air too I'd imagine!

I guess a 别墅 style place would be much affordable there. Its not ever a consideration within the 5th ring road. 

Unfortunately my partner works in central BJ so not an option for now. 

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Do you know how long would it take to get to the nearest Line 15 station?

Amap reckons an hour and a half by bus to the Shunyi station, 19km. About the same to 俸伯 which is a k or two further away.

5 minutes ago, mungouk said:

How about by e-bike, do you take yours on the road?  

We do take the trike on the road and it actually manages 35 kph but tend to avoid longer journeys. Have gone up into the hills behind and visited friends over towards Huairou though, made a 20km run by back roads in not much over half an hour.

• Like 1

wasn't miles away  from you today actually Jim. Olympic park. Not long back.  I have a motorbike but freezing, breathing in pollution and  and dicing with death on the 5th ring road wasn't exactly pleasant.  A petrol/gas bike is  a good transport option in beijing but you need to go through the hassle of a getting a Chinese license.  

3 hours ago, imron said:

Huairou used to have a fantastic section of the great wall before they renovated it.. 

Here are some pictures of said renovations as they were happening - you can see entire crumbling sections of wall (i.e. the part that gave it charm) replaced with smooth paving :evil: - at first the workers asked us not to take photos because they didn't want photographic evidence getting back to their boss that they had skimped on the building materials and were using cheaper materials that what they were supposed to be using ?

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

• Like 1

Is that the Jiankou one @imron? Got taken to a really nice unspoiled section a few years ago (long before moved out here) but someone drove and i didn't really pay attention to exactly where it was! Think it was Jiankou though. Must be plenty of other places to explore - there's a big lake/reservoir in the hills friend took us over to swim in  last summer (probably illicitly) but water level had dropped too much and looked a but manky so we didn't bother. Loads of fancy villas along the shore there and most looked empty or unfinished. Might be a project for an even more intrepid ruralite.

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Is that the Jiankou one

It was Huanghua - which incidentally also had a water reservoir there.

My favourite memory of it was hiking one early autumn morning with the sun not quite high enough in the sky and having white frost on the ground on the side the sun didn't get to, and autumn colours on the side that it could.  It was like the Taiji symbol but created out of the wall and the earth.  Wish I had a picture of it, but digital cameras were no where near as common then as they are now.  I might have an actual developed photo of it somewhere, but who knows where that would be now.

It can be really pretty round here, the hills look very fine in the winter sun and we get off the main road down a long avenue on the other bank of the canal that's tree lined like some French film and has orchards to the south. Lots of bird life too.

ETA I see it says Huanghua on your pic too, doh!