Chinese-Forums

Gift giving to friends - knives and multi-tools

NewEnglander

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but a fairly regular traveler to China. I spend about 5 months/year there. It's a constant learning experience. 

My question is about gift-giving and specifically about knives and multi-tools (think Swiss Army knife).

The first recipient is an old friend and businessman who has often described the two of us as DIY-guys. Impossible isn't a word in our vocabularies. He's Taiwanese and, like me, he easily adapts to whatever situation he might face.  I would really like to give him an American-made Leatherman multi-tool as a symbol of my respect for his ability to adapt to changes over the years. 

The second is a company chef who has, for many years, prepared delicious meals for the many people working at the factory.  I've eaten countless meals with him and enjoy his dedication to his art. I'd like to give him a high quality chef's knife as a token of my appreciation for everything he has done and continues to do.

I had heard about Chinese gift giving and sharp objects. Is there a way around that? (For example, some equivalent to taping a penny to the blade to counteract bad luck)

Am I overthinking it? Might it be ok for a Westerner such as myself to give these gifts to them without implying the end of the relationships or any sort of bad luck?

Thanks in advance for your insight. I appreciate it.

Cheers,

NE

No no no. You're not over thinking. It's an awful idea that will make the recipient really uncomfortable.

Even apart from this, professional chefs are very particular about their knives and want something that feels good in their hand. You really can't pick something out for them. It's a question of personal choice.

I agree with 889 about the chef's knife, this is something that could just go horribly wrong in so many ways. I am however inclined to think that perhaps the Leatherman is not so bad an idea as it might seem.

Leatherman is an excellent tool, not only a knife, my OH has a Wave and as an electronics engineer and general fix it man, he wouldn't be without it. So if you feel you know the recipient well enough to know what he might like and if he is open minded enough to accept the gift in spirit was given in, then I think it would be a wonderful idea.

This of course is only my opinion.

• Like 1

I think with the Leatherman you could make a joke of it. “I’m gifting you the pliers, saw, tweezers and chisel. The knife bit is just a loan, I’ll be needing that back...”

Depends on the recipient, of course. 

• Like 1

First, I have to say I love love love this forum.  I had used various forums and channels of all types quite a lot back in the late 80s, early 90s up until about a decade ago. Not quite sure why I stopped using them...probably more than one reason. But after finding this forum and submitting my question, I began reading some of the many other questions and answers and I was reminded of the value of a good forum.

Thank you all for contributing your thoughts, not only to my question posed here, but to others throughout the forum. It appears you've built up quite a good resource with answers to questions not easily found elsewhere. I appreciate it and look forward to contributing to the forum as time permits during my travels.

I've spent a great deal of time traveling mostly in Jiangsu province working with various manufacturers to help them market their products elsewhere in the world, especially North America. I hope to finally make time this year to expand my horizons and travel elsewhere throughout the country. So much to see and learn...including investing time to learn the language(s)...I've been quite lazy about it over the years since my many Chinese colleagues prefer to practice/use their English when I'm around.

In any case, thank you all for your insight. I did hear a difference in opinion among my older and younger Chinese colleagues as well. The younger ones (generally under 40)  tended to be more open to the idea, but the older ones warned against it. Good to know....glad I asked.

Thanks again!

If I may, I'd like to add two more gift giving questions to this same thread. I'm flying over later this week for a few annual company parties so this is a bit last minute... 

• Might you have any suggestions for a more appropriate, and perhaps more traditional Chinese gift for someone who also happens to be a chef there? Last year I brought him a handmade scarf.
  • And one of my colleagues just informed me that he is planning to pop the question to his coworker and love at their company party. They've worked together and dated for years. I know them both very well. I'd love to bring a gift--something to celebrate the news--but I haven't a clue what (if anything) would be appropriate. Any suggestions? Or is that best left only for their wedding?

Thank you all again for your insight. I appreciate it!

If you search around a bit here, I think you'll find other discussions of gift-giving in China.

The basic problem is that a gift imposes an obligation on the recipient to somehow reciprocate. So a gift is in fact a burden.

Of course, if your gift is itself an act of reciprocation, that just balances the relationship. But you need to make clear, in a suitably discreet fashion, that you're reciprocating some kindness.

I don't think engagement presents are common in China.

And at the wedding itself, you come bearing cash, not a blender.

As with the knife, gifts related to the recipient's profession are often problematical. A gift reflective of your home country and culture is probably safest. (But take off the "Made in China" label first.)

• Like 3

I think giving someone a gift related to their profession, especially when you don't share the profession, is a bit risky. If you don't know them well enough to be sure what they'd like, stick to 889's " gift reflective of your home country and culture." 

8 hours ago, NewEnglander said:
  • Might you have any suggestions for a more appropriate, and perhaps more traditional Chinese gift for someone who also happens to be a chef there? Last year I brought him a handmade scarf. - As someone who has received many many unwanted gifts, I would suggest that if you don't know the person very well, it is best to stick with consumable gifts, such as food and beverages.
  • And one of my colleagues just informed me that he is planning to pop the question to his coworker and love at their company party. They've worked together and dated for years. I know them both very well. I'd love to bring a gift--something to celebrate the news--but I haven't a clue what (if anything) would be appropriate. Any suggestions? Or is that best left only for their wedding? - Not sure if gift is necessary for engagement but for the wedding, definitely cash in red envelope that is suitable for the occasion. 

I wouldn't be as concerned at all about giving a leatherman as a gift as some of the posters about might be. I have one (Leatherman Wave) sitting on my desk which I bought it nearly 30 years ago . Its a great tool. It's been admired by my partners father, chinese friends and provokes discussion and admiration .  This thread prompted me to ask my partner if it would be a suitable gift for her father this chunjie. She thinks it's a great idea and has no reservations about it. I can see it being a problem for some Chinese though. 

However, I think considerate people see the intention behind the gift rather than judge it by age old convention . Naturally people are different but I think you get much more leeway as a foreigner in these situations. You can of course make it known beforehand you are aware of cultural symbolism behind it and voice your intent behind the gift. I understand that some gifts are just unsuitable and downright insulting, such as a green hat but there is no real obvious choice why you would give the gift in the first place. 

In any case I think foreigners worry too much about gift giving in China. I receive a lot of gifts too and usually being nuts, fruit, money, all of which would be seen as a little odd or even thoughtless (money) by a western standpoint. I also receive gifts of Nescafe instant coffee (the Gold blend though!) and recently a bag of spaghetti. However I appreciate the gesture and thought behind it.  Otherwise it's quite petty in my view.

Just to add: I think a lot of Chinese cultural problems are easily solved by simply dialogue and often foreigners might spend a lot too long second guessing by themselves at home. 

• 1 month later...

I know my repliy it's a month late, yet still see if I can make any help here.

First of all, Swiss Army knife is a great gift, most people would like it, don't buy a huge size one since those are hard to use.

Secondly, I think the user '大块头' made a fare point there : buy gifts that a sepical or unique to your home town, like boston or even Maine.

lastly you asked about what's a good gift to a chef, I would say a knife stone, if you are going to send it to a chinese, buy a Zwilling knife stone, if to a U.S. chef a Zhang Xiao Quan knife stone would be nice (they first open business back in 1628! they know everything about knifes and scissors and such XD )

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 7:45 AM, 889 said:

If you go the Swiss Army knife route, remember you won't get onboard any flight with it in your carry-on.

Or even multi-tool... I packed in a hurry recently and inadvertently left my Leatherman in hand luggage... it was confiscated at security.

(Thankfully they posted it on.)

16 hours ago, mungouk said:

Or even multi-tool... I packed in a hurry recently and inadvertently left my Leatherman in hand luggage... it was confiscated at security.

(Thankfully they posted it on.)

Which airport in UK? I didn't know they had this service. How much did it cost? 

Mine is going on 30 years old so a lot of sentimental value.