Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
vellocet

"Free, take one" for brochures

vellocet

I'm creating a brochure and I need the Chinese equivalent of "Free, take one!"  They'll be sitting around in racks and I want people to take them home with them.  What's the commonly used Chinese phrase for this?  It doesn't have to be a direct translation.  Just something they'll recognize and understand innately from other printed matter that conveys the same concept.  Bonus points for a graphic from Baidu Images or such that has the phrase.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

anonymoose
2 hours ago, 889 said:

免费领取 sounds nice.

I think 领取 is more like to pick something up that belongs to you, or to go and collect something. I might be wrong, but I don't think it's the appropriate verb for this context.

I'd say 请拿一份,是免费的.

• Helpful 1

vellocet

There isn't a standard phrase that people are used to seeing?

Jim

I feel like the "free to take" would be more likely expressed using 赠品 but not sure if that would apply with a brochure and a quick search hasn't come up with any set phrase so could be completely wrong!

dwq

How about 免費取閱 or 歡迎取閱 (free to take and read / welcome to take and read) for this case.  I agree with anonymoose, 領取 sounds like you need to go somewhere and fetch it, though the phrase itself is quite common. Googling 免費領取 turns up a lot of "go to this website and you can grab an electronic coupon" results.  Another common expression is 免費索取 (free to request (e.g. a sample)).

• Like 1

Beelzebro

How about: 免费的,拿一个!

roddy

赠品  I'd expect to see on a free gift with a purchase. Free lipstick when you buy a magazine, that kind of thing. 

Jim
1 hour ago, roddy said:

赠品  I'd expect to see on a free gift with a purchase. Free lipstick when you buy a magazine, that kind of thing. 

Yes, wife said the same when I mentioned the question to her, not that she offered an answer herself. Hmph.

陳德聰
22 hours ago, vellocet said:

There isn't a standard phrase that people are used to seeing?

Is "Free, take one!" a standard phrase in English?

dwq above gives the best suggestion: 歡迎取閲

Like this: https://www.china.cn/youjibolizhip/3691414866.html

• Helpful 1

vellocet

Sure, you see it on brochures and such all the time.  It's a fixed phrase or whatever that's called.  

VocabSplitter

Since it’s for brochures, I think translate it to “免费宣传册” may be proper. That transition is easy for people to understand, and it can tell  people two things: 1. They are brochures; 2. It’s free.

If you are in mainland China, please print it in simplified Chinese. If you are outside mainland China, you can print it in traditional Chinese.