Chinese-Forums

Random Character of the Day

Tomsima

11 hours ago, Tomsima said:

just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more examples of 言 being simplified in other areas of a character

這 is surely the most common. 

8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

牝 in a biology book about a year ago now, one friend I asked knew it, another friend didn't

Interesting, if mainly because of the pairing with 牡. 

求牡 qiúmǔ v.o. (of a girl) to court a boy

is nice.

• Thanks 1

as in the 言 > 讠simplification, the only others being 文 in 這, 旦 for the compound 詹 and 亦 for the compound 䜌. Don't think examples like 嶽 > 岳 count, as from what I understand they aren't so much simplifications as just different characters that had similar meaning and usage which then got substituted.

鶼 added as the character of the day, I've certainly bumped into it before in 鶼鰈. the other two seem to be in extended unicode, not appearing on my phone at least, so not included for the moment...still very interesting though!

7 hours ago, Jim said:

氹 dàng  ditch, pool or muddy puddle, dialect it said in my dictionary and I did see it in reported speech.

Perhaps most well-known as being the first character of Taipa (氹仔), the central "island" of Macau.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roddy said:

鬣.

Yeah, this one has always stuck out to me. I think I first encountered it in an animal documentary and later on I think also in The Lion King. Both times in the hyena context. Especially in a simplified subtitle it really brought attention to itself.

• 2 weeks later...

xian3, 'bamboo whisk'

A fairly innocuous-looking character, but it caught me out - good to know it essentially only comes up in the word 茶筅

I would suggest an etymology of 竹 'bamboo (implement)' + 先 phonetic 'xian' + semantic connotation 'pre-' or 'super-' for the froth that is whisked on the top of matcha teas. Just my own theory, definitely not backed up by any academic research at all!