Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

Tomsima

Random Character of the Day

Shelley

@Demonic_Duck ah yes thanks for pointing that out it was difficult to decide if it was in a position to be simplified.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Tomsima

儲 > 储

辯 > 辩

獄 > 狱

just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more examples of 言 being simplified in other areas of a character

Dlezcano

牝 pin4, female animal or plant as in 牝猫 or 牝马. I saw it in an old photograph but I never heard it before, so I do not know if it is still common today since I am wary of asking my Chinese friends about this kind of words.

• Like 3

Tomsima

saw 牝 in a biology book about a year ago now, one friend I asked knew it, another friend didn't

Demonic_Duck
8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

儲 > 储

辯 > 辩

獄 > 狱

Good counterexamples (though 储 is just ⿰亻诸). I revise my comment to "squished up on the left horizontally".

• Like 1

Tomsima

if biang was designed firstly on the principles of making a character with the greatest stroke order, it does make you wonder why 䜌 wasnt used there in the middle...

Demonic_Duck
31 minutes ago, Tomsima said:

it does make you wonder why 䜌 wasnt used there in the middle...

Too easy to simplify into 亦, I suppose (à la 彎 → 弯).

roddy

11 hours ago, Tomsima said:

just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more examples of 言 being simplified in other areas of a character

這 is surely the most common. 

8 hours ago, Tomsima said:

牝 in a biology book about a year ago now, one friend I asked knew it, another friend didn't

Interesting, if mainly because of the pairing with 牡. 

求牡 qiúmǔ v.o. (of a girl) to court a boy

is nice.

• Thanks 1

Tomsima

as in the 言 > 讠simplification, the only others being 文 in 這, 旦 for the compound 詹 and 亦 for the compound 䜌. Don't think examples like 嶽 > 岳 count, as from what I understand they aren't so much simplifications as just different characters that had similar meaning and usage which then got substituted.

Polyhistor

聻 jiàn the ghost of a ghost, for lack of a better English alternative. When a ghost dies, it becomes a jiàn. 

人人死作鬼,人见惧之;鬼死作聻,鬼见怕之。

• Like 4

roddy

"其实在江浙地区还有“埋聻砖”即把一块刻有“聻”字的石砖砌入房子,达到防鬼、祛邪的目的"

I like it. Who you gonna call? A ghost-ghost!

• Helpful 1

Jim

氹 dàng  ditch, pool or muddy puddle, dialect it said in my dictionary and I did see it in reported speech. Also "特指田地里沤肥的小坑。" Pit where you ret your fertiliser.

• Like 1

Tomsima

鶼 added as the character of the day, I've certainly bumped into it before in 鶼鰈. the other two seem to be in extended unicode, not appearing on my phone at least, so not included for the moment...still very interesting though!

Michaelyus
7 hours ago, Jim said:

氹 dàng  ditch, pool or muddy puddle, dialect it said in my dictionary and I did see it in reported speech.

Perhaps most well-known as being the first character of Taipa (氹仔), the central "island" of Macau.

• Like 1

Dlezcano

I always felt some kind of fascination for 氹 since the first time I saw it in Macau. I even bought a fridge magnet with 氹仔 on it.

• Like 1