Chinese-Forums

Few questions about getting to the university

Sketch

• New Members

So I'm planning to study in China maybe/probably in future. I have got a few questions about overall universities and application. 

First of all, in my country (I'm living in europe) we have got something let's say similar to SAT I/SAT II exams and report card like in usa (I mean document with list of end-year grades of school subjects). And my biggest question is, Do they (university commission) pay attention to the final exams rather than to the end-year grades (report card)? Does anyone has experience with it?

Secondly, How hard is it to get to the university? (let's say to the Top 50 unis in China (both in chinese and in (preferably) english courses))

And last, I'm interested mainly in computer science and little less in robotics studies. What Universities would you suggest? (maybe based on personal experience)

Thanks for any help ? 

12 hours ago, Sketch said:

I'm interested mainly in computer science and little less in robotics studies. What Universities would you suggest?

Consider these Universities:

1) Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics

2) Zhejiang University

3) Shanghai Jiao Tong University

4) Beijing Institute of Technology

5) Xi'an Jiao Tong University

6) Tongji University

For foreign students, it's very easy to get into one of the top universities in China. For example, Tsinghua University is the "best of best (top 1)" university in China, and getting into it is very hard for Chinese students, but it's very easy for foreign students:

“According to the university’s 2017 requirements for international bachelor's degree applicants, foreign applicants must hold a high school diploma and pass the Level 5 HSK Chinese proficiency test with a score of at least 60 out of 100. All other entrance examinations are waived for foreign students. ”

http://en.people.cn/n3/2017/0217/c90000-9179405.html

Computer Science in Tsinghua University is ranked NO. 2, in China.   NO. 1 is Beijing University.

34 minutes ago, VocabSplitter said:

“According to the university’s 2017 requirements for international bachelor's degree applicants, foreign applicants must hold a high school diploma and pass the Level 5 HSK Chinese proficiency test with a score of at least 60 out of 100.

Just as a matter of curiosity, are these courses taught in English or Chinese. If chinese I can't see how a hsk5 mark of 60% would prepare you to be able to sit a uni course . How would you even manage to read the lecturers handwritting , follow the tutor orally,  not to mention all the technical books one would have to read. 

Most of the courses will be taught in Chinese, but there are a few courses which will be taught in English. I am also confused why they made such a low requirement for international students.... Maybe they believe that after the students arrive in China, their Chinese skill can be improved very fast? The news was in 2017, maybe they have made some changes for 2019?

Anyway, the most recent detailed requirements for the international students of Tsinghua University is at:

http://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/newthu/newthu_cnt/students/students-3.html

For those who cannot read Chinese, here is the Google translated version:

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tsinghua.edu.cn%2Fpublish%2Fnewthu%2Fnewthu_cnt%2Fstudents%2Fstudents-3.html

Do you live in one of the European countries that attract hordes of Chinese students eager to spend (what is to them) a small fortune for a better education abroad? If so, I would strongly recommend reconsidering your plan. You will probably be able to get a much better education in your home country. There are always exceptions of course, but the Chinese university education system tends to overemphasize the development of rote memorization abilities because educational resources are so scarce.

Even if you go to one of the top-ranked schools in China, if you are in one of those programs with artificially low special admission requirements just to attract the right kind of foreign student, the quality of your education will probably be even worse.

Learning Chinese is a richly rewarding hobby and potentially a good career move if you play your cards right. Study abroad or bum around via Couchsurfing over there for a summer to scratch your itchy feet, work for two years in your country to satisfy the visa requirements, and then see if you can find a good job over there that doesn't involve teaching English. Don't let your wanderlust hobble your future.

• Helpful 1

On 1/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, Sketch said:

What Universities would you suggest?

Tsinghua University has a strong computer science program - arguably the strongest in the country (at least this was true a few years back, I haven't been following this recently but I don't expect much will have changed).