Chinese-Forums

Coursera HSK 5 Course: NOT Recommended

Moshen

Hi Mo, I'm in week 2 of that coursera course and haven't found it terrible yet but did find it difficult and fairly slow going because they are using chinese to explain new words and don't use any english words at all - I need to throw all of the sentences through google translate (which isn't great at the best of times) to get a feel for the meaning. I also did the HSK 3 and 4 Course and the teaching style does change completely in HSK 5 (immediate focus on Exam questions in HSK5) and you do need to look up some new words. This must have been done to release the course quicker - they didn't have to make their own audio dialogues like they had in HSK3 and HSK4 course...they just use the HSK 5 archive of audio.

I also started a HSK 5 class in the real world last week at the 孔子学院 and there is a familiar approach there - little or no english used in the class, only 4 students in the class so the teacher spends a lot of time giving us opportunities to actually speak chinese in the class as opposed to drilling exam q's like the coursera course.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've struggled through to the end of the Coursera HSK 5 course with the aid of Google Translate, and I just want to add that *if* you have already learned the HSK level 5 vocabulary and are looking for a review, practice and tips for passing the HSK 5 exam, then parts of it are quite good for that purpose. For example, the reading teacher discusses strategies for figuring out the correct answers even if there are a bunch of words in a text whose meanings you don't know.

But as I said before, if you're looking for a way to get your comprehension and mastery of the language from HSK level 4 to level 5, this is definitely not it.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

• 9 months later...

This actually sounds like an ideal MOOC for me, tbh. I did HSK 5 in 2014 and passed with a good score but I've not spoken Chinese much since I left China. I think I'm going to do a couple of weeks there in April studying, climbing, and doing cooking lessons etc and this course sounds ideal for me as a refresher - so thanks for posting!