Chinese-Forums

Alternative HSK4 [and now HSK5] decks for StickyStudy

mungouk

• 3 years later...

I am coming to this problem with HSK5. Did you ever make a similar deck for that level? 

If not, any guidance on the quickest way to make my own? I tried looking StickyStudy FAQs etc but didn’t find it that helpful for mass import / creation. 

Thanks ?

By coincidence I just checked in here for the first time in ages... since April I'm not studying Mandarin any more.

Here are the files I was using for HSK 5. Similar to the previous post, there are versions with 1 chapter per file (30-40 vocab words each), as well as combined chapters, in this case with 3 chapters together.

Good luck!

HSK5 StickyStudy ch1-36.zip HSK5 StickyStudy 3 chapters per file.zip

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

On 7/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, ChTTay said:

This seems very final ? what happened? 

OK I could've said "I'm taking a break"...

I left China in February, studied like crazy for the HSK 5 exam in April (but in much too short a time) and then failed it. I made a bad decision to go for it at a time that was convenient (rather than what was best or most appropriate), based on the approach I'd taken for HSK 4 two years earlier.

Right now I have no motivation to study Chinese any more because I'm not there, but maybe I'll come back to it in the future.

For me, at the HSK 5 level it was becoming too much like pain and not much like fun any more. 

(Meanwhile I was so glad to escape the paranoid Chinese "zero covid" policy... after all the very strict rules, being locked in my apartment shortly before I left, having to have daily PCR tests at my door and so on, being back in Europe felt like waking from a bad dream.  I travelled for 5 weeks in Switzerland (with a bit of freelance work), then Italy, Germany, Portugal and France visiting old friends. It felt like coming out of prison.)

So, the bottom line is that I'm not really expecting to go back to China in the near future, and so Mandarin goes on the back burner, or in the kitchen drawer, or something.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 7:12 AM, mungouk said:

For me, at the HSK 5 level it was becoming too much like pain and not much like fun any more. 

I know what you mean. I’m looking at HSK 5 again after many years. Had a couple of stalled attempts. I studied with tutors and just found the formulaic approach too much after going from 0 to HSK4 in 2 years way back in 2014. I read a blog post recently of someone who didn’t use the official books as their primary source of materials for 5 or 6 as they found them childish and boring. I’ve certainly found them boring. However, as they’re so “focused” on the test it seems hard not to use them ?  I’m in a position now of being conversationally fluent but lacking some of the depth you get by actually studying. 

Thanks for your flashcards. I’ll give StickyStudy a try with them. I did use Pleco but I find it’s too easy in the past to go off track making cards for everything ????