Chinese-Forums

What is your choice?

Shelley

Writing Style   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use/prefer? (see examples in the post)

• Style A
    • Style B
    • Style C

I wonder which style people prefer. 

You can just vote, but any reasons, explanations as to why you chose what you did would be helpful.

The reason for this poll is because I can't decide which style gives the best result for most people. Also to find out if there is an accepted way to do this other than the 3 that I have shown that may give better results.

Thanks for any input.

WritingStyles.thumb.jpg.1512580f64e69ef5da8475966d6bd8ca.jpg

• Good question! 1

A first, then C for me Shelly.

My reason being,

A looks grown up , the reason why you have lines in the first place.

C while hanzi grids  can be useful no doubt and improves hand writing it still looks like the training wheels are on (like me)

B looks like you found a scrap piece of paper to write something unimportant  on

Just my initial reaction.

I really like seeing  beautiful script on paper that has no lines on it but that would no doubt require a huge amount of talent

(Edited: Corrected due to Shelly's remarks below.)

@DavyJonesLocker Are you aware that C is on square ruled paper?, its easier to see if you make it bigger.  Somehow to me that seems like the biggest training wheels (to continue your analogy)

@889 Do you mean the gap between characters or the gab between parts of the character? I find the gap between parts of the characters the hardest to get right.

I use Hanzi grids, you can configure it so you have pale characters to trace. I make a new grid for each lesson and write them out. I just need more freehand practice, half my problem is I am hesitant about stroke order and this gives a disjointed look. I just need to do more, which is one reason for this question. I wanted to put my efforts in to the best way possible to use lined/squared paper.

I chose style a, as i think part of making your writing look less childish or cute is reducing gaps between characters (of course if that's what you want go for it), when to and when not to 留白 is important in the aesthetic appeal of ones handwriting

That being said, I write vertically whenever I can, as freehand characters run much more naturally for me down than across

11 hours ago, Shelley said:

@DavyJonesLocker Are you aware that C is on square ruled paper?, its easier to see if you make it bigger.  Somehow to me that seems like the biggest training wheels (to continue your analogy)

Sorry Shelly I noticed my mistake after I posted then somehow managed to not to save my correction. Oops

Post edited above . Thanks .

(I voted A in poll above)

• Like 1

Thank you for everyone's input, so far the poll is in favour of A.

I had thought this might be the case.

I think I will use that one for the time being until one day I am able to throw away the training wheels and not fall off:)

Please don't stop voting, a bigger sample size would be good. Thank you.

Let's try another point:

Using a fine point is fine when you're practicing. But if you're doing something serious, like a letter to a friend, then the broadest point practical is best. It's far more forgiving of a wobbly hand, and usually produces better looking characters no matter your skill.

Indeed, you might want to try practicing with something more extreme, such as a MagicMarker on something absorbent, like newsprint. Point is, you then have to write the whole character in a single movement; otherwise you'll get splotches when you stop.

@889 interesting point.

I don't know why but that seems counter intuitive. 

A bigger pen makes bigger characters which is great for posters, art etc. but if you are trying to fit your lesson on to standard notebook pages a ballpoint pen seems to work well. I have tried a large number of writing instruments. I have ruled out anything that doesn't dry instantly, smudges are to be avoided. Brush style pens are fun but usually only good for artistic endeavours as they take up to much space. 

I tried Sharpies, they were good if you use the fine point ones. Actually thinking about it these are good because they flow better than a biro, you may have prompted a major change here 889.

I have some rice paper that I bought from a famous shop in London' s china town years ago (the name escapes me), I tried them but found the absorbency a bit tricky, maybe I will dig it out and try again.

I was hoping this wouldn't turn in to a critique of my writing, but I suppose that was too much to hope. Thanks for your help everyone.