Chinese-Forums

Meet the kids who grew up in Chinese takeaways - BBC Stories

NinjaTurtle

Here is a fascinating video about Chinese immigrants who grew up in the UK. The kids worked hard in the family restaurant (illegal underage labor?) and this is their story.

(I had never heard the phrase "work in a Chinese takeaway" before. Must be British English?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii9o8B_9sXo

• Like 2

“______ takeaway” is just how we say it’s a take out place. Like an Indian takeaway or a Chinese one. Perhaps also other foods like Turkish or something. For some reason you don’t usually add “pizza” in front of it. 

People would also saying something like “Friday is takeaway night” to mean they’re going to eat that sort of food. 

A girl i went to primary school with for a bit was the daughter of our local Chinese takeaway. Many years later I saw that she worked there in the school holidays too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChTTay said:

“______ takeaway” is just how we say it’s a take out place. Like an Indian takeaway or a Chinese one. Perhaps also other foods like Turkish or something. For some reason you don’t usually add “pizza” in front of it. 

good observation. I never considered that, we always say takeaway to mean indian, Chinese, chipper (fish and chips),  but if its a pizza ”I'm gonna get a pizza“. KFC probably the same 

As a kid, I and practically everyone in my class worked every weekend and all summer. Starting at 11 in pubs washing glasses and on a Saturday morning cutting grass for a few quid Was just the done thing. It gave kids a work ethic, sense of responsibility and kept us out of mischievous (almost). My next door neighbors were from BBC s (parents from HK) and those 2 young lads worked in their parents restaurant every day. Didn't do anyone any harm.  I think we mollycoddle kids too much now and the law, while can have good intentions,  interferes a lot. I need to check what exactly what UK law says on it. 

Yeah,  we also started doing whatever we could around 13 (which I’m fairly sure at that time was the youngest you could legally do some part time work). I washed dishes twice a week a local pub. Could walk down if needed but would get dropped off sometimes too. When I was eligible to work elsewhere (16?) I started in supermarkets with loads of the local kids my age.