Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

  • Why you should look around

    Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

    Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 

Which TEFL course do I need to teach English in China or Taiwan?

Recommended Posts




I see that there are many different TEFL courses ranging from 50 hours online material to 140 hours combined classroom teaching. Many job adverts I see have "TEFL licence required" or similar. I'm just wondering which TEFL course they are referring to? Is there a standard minimum requirement or do they not care, can I just do the minimum 50 hour one and be ok? 


Thanks in advance.

  • Good question! 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.


When they refer to hours they’re usually making reference to how long the course takes. More specifically, some (better) employers stipulate this is also contact hours with course providers in person. 


Way back when I did a “120 hour” course that was all online apart from one weekend. The certificate simply said “120 hours” on it. 


Lots of schools won’t care what the course is or where. They just need the certificate in order to get you the visa. Some better schools obviously do care which course provider ran the course, if it was online or in person, etc.


Also, from a personal point of view, if you just plan on teaching for a year or as part of “travel” then maybe you wouldn’t want to invest that much.  


If you do feel like doing it for it for a while or becoming a teacher then do a CELTA. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Cambridge Celta or Trinity Tesol won’t be essential for China (and tell me if I’m wrong here, ChTTay) but it has the advantages of being globally recognized if you want to move on, opens up better jobs or (if you negotiate right) higher pay, and makes your teaching a lot more effective and therefore rewarding. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah a lot of places still just want the piece of paper to get the visa. You can go to Jonny TEFl school online for 12 hours, they then add a zero to the certificate and no one will care or check.


You can work somewhere a bit better (perhaps!) if you’ve got a CELTA but it’s not a necessary prerequisite here. 


It really depens what you personally want out of it. The general TEFL course just for the paper is worth about as much as a piece of paper. It just lets you jump that hurdle with regard to the visa. 


And yes, that’s why I mention the CELTA if you’re looking for a career. Even if you don’t want to be an English teacher, but you do want to be a teacher, then it will be useful. This is both in practice and on your CV when applying for international school jobs or jobs at home where they have multiple languages in classrooms. 

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now