Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

caro,

If you go to page 14 of this thread, you'll find a description of all the dorms on campus that I wrote a few months ago.

The current changes are that dorm 7 has been closed for renovations, and 12 and 13 are also closed now.

yueni

Thank you Yueni, I saw you reply, it helps a lot

I've asked for a better room but they said that there is no more room available...don't know if it's true...I'm gonna try to change it when I'll be there

You'll find it difficult for the first week of school as people are still moving in and settling down. Just keep going back and letting them know you're interested in moving to a better quality room, and rooms should start opening up as people move off campus to other housing options.

I remained in dorm 9, and didn't find it super bad or anything. It's definitely not the best place I've ever stayed in, but it worked out fine for me.

hey there!

Do they have mixed-type sockets in the dorms, particularly dorm 4? That is will the European plug fit or do I need a converter?

And how much do I need to pay for the internet in the room (double room) and will it be unlimited?

Thanks!!

The sockets are not mixed, but you can buy extension cords at the friendship store on campus for pretty cheap that will allow you to plug in your European appliances.

Unlimited internet via Cernet (the cable internet on campus) costs 140RMB/month. Their office is by the west gate on campus.

This depends on the dorm. Some dorms have two sockets. Other dorms require that you get a router and then each get separate accounts. My dorm had only one socket, so I got cable, and my roommate got DSL. I don't know how much DSL costs or where the company is.

Each internet account is specific to your computer only.

Any info about dorm 4?

I will have to submit some work via internet every day (I''m a translator). So I would really like to arrange internet fast :) Plus, I'm only coming for 2 months, so I wouldn't want to buy expensive equipment.

Anyone staying at dorm 4?

And thanks again, yueni :)

Hi caro,

Honestly, it really depends on what you want to do during the month. I'm a scholarship student, so I had 1700rmb given to me by the Chinese government each month. In general, it lasted me until the 3rd week of the month and then I supplemented that with my own money. However, I don't know what your spending habits are like and what you prefer to do and where you prefer to spend your money.

If you like to eat out at nicer restaurants, if you like to go out to the bars and clubs on the weekends for a good time, if you plan on travelling a lot, if you want to make sure you have a little more of the luxuries and comfort of home, you will spend a lot more than I did. Some of my friends easily spent 1700rmb in a week, if not the very same day they received it.

A night out can easily cost upwards of 400rmb, especially if you have a nice dinner and a few drinks, plus cab fare, entrance fees...

Personally, I'm not much for going out clubbing a lot, and I've been to a lot of the tourist attractions in Beijing already, so I don't spend money there. I eat pretty cheaply. Most weekdays, I spend around 20-30rmb for all my meals. I do splurge a little on the weekends, but I rarely spend more than 50rmb for a single meal unless it's a special occasion. I also didn't buy sheets and whatever else my roommates did to make the room more comfortable for them, because I was fine roughing it out for the year. All that obviously adds up, especially if you want stuff that's similar to what you're used to back home.

Most of my money went into the 4 week winter vacation where I dropped a good deal of cash travelling around southern China.

Wow thanks Yueni for the accurate response

It helps a lot ^^

I'm going in BLCU just for 4 weeks so it's like holidays so I think I'm gonna spend quite a lot

I have another small question:

How much does the taxi drive cost from the airport to the university?

Edited by caro7411

Taxi from the university to the airport (and vice versa) will cost between 80-100rmb. I think I spent about 89rmb the last time I took the taxi to the airport, but this was also at like 11pm at night and nobody was on the roads. It is about a half hour cab ride.

If you take a taxi during the middle of the day and the roads are really crowded, it might be over 100rmb. I think I spent something like 110rmb when I first arrived.

How far is BLCU from Chaoyang district? I'm asking because my dad lives in Chaoyang and I'm thinking if it's easier to live with him - although I would like to live on campus to get used to China more on my own.

Also can anyone give some detail what you do in the classes? Preferably the lower ones; I would probably going into the lowest one.. :-

Hi to everyone!!!

:D

To Caro: I'm just back from Beijing and I can tell u that at maximum u'll pay 140yuan for the taxi (from the airport to BLCU). I spent 130yuan from the 北外.

ciao...

I would be much appreciative if someone could help me out with a couple of questions of mine:

I am currently set to stay for 1 yr at BLCU. Having noticed that most accommodation is comunal, I am currently trying to find out where the best private accommodation is on campus , as I am willing to pay more for quality and comfort.

I understand that most students stay at the Conference Centre.... is this good or just average?? Is there any other better area?

Similarly I want to be central to everything...

I have recently read some posts on a forum stating that Buildings 4 and 6 are the best out of all of them... do these really have the best rooms out of the whole campus?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi!

I´m going with the same scholarship as Caro for 4 weeks in July. Do you think even short-term scholarship students get the lowest-standard rooms? Is it worth a try to book a room? If I´m put into a dorm room that does not have a bathroom, I guess if I´m really determined I can move to one with a bathroom if I pay the difference? The lowest-standard room with the bathroom is OK, I just need my own toilet. :mrgreen: About how much fee should I calculate with for 30 days if they take off that approx. 30 RMB?

Thanks a lot!

The [electrical] sockets are not mixed, but you can buy extension cords at the friendship store on campus for pretty cheap that will allow you to plug in your European appliances.

I checked Dorm 17 and the library, they both do have mixed sockets. I also asked a friend who lives at Dorm 4 and he says the sockets there are mixed as well. So maybe it depends on the (age of the) dorm.

But as yueni mentioned you're likely going to buy an extension cord anyway -- almost all of them have mixed sockets. I do keep a small adapter in my laptop bag just in case (i.e., one of the US-style jacks in the library was really worn out, so only the Chinese part was usable.)

Does dorm 17 have its own reservation number? Or do I call the number provided on my acceptance kit which is dorm #2 student housing service? Will they be the 1 to coordinate my reservation with dorm 17?

Since I will be at BLCU on a scholarship, I was not surprised they told me I will be in Dorm 9. I think it will be all right, at least it´s for free. I know about the general conditions, but it would nice to know more, like how many floors, is there anything I should take with myself, about how far it is from the teaching buildings (in minutes) and such. Pictures would be also appreciated! ;)

Edited by Gaogao