Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

Just got to BLCU yesterday. Spent one night in the conference center and went looking for dorms in the morning. When I went to dorm 2, per my admission notice, I think with my broken Chinese that they couldn't get me a room and I would have to go to the individual dorm to find out.

I went straight to dorm 17 and they only have double rooms available, so I was just happy to get in. I havn't been to BLCU in two years and I have found there to be a lot of contruction. I guess the large building in the center of campus is for the new dining center.

I am very happy with dorm 17 and would encourage anyone to spend the extra. Having a double helps with the wallet. You can check in early as my admission notice says not until the 26th and I was told it is 65 yuan a night for a double in 17.

Hi Brian (Brian_US), got a couple of questions - do you mean to say you've booked a room in Dorm 17 and it is 65yuan per person per night? So if you don't have a roommate you'll pay (65*2)=130yuan a night? Or do you know if you just pay for yourself and they'll just put whoever signs up next in the room with you. I'm thinking between Dorm 17 or the International Students Center, but I won't get to Beijing til early Sept though. Thanks!

Hi Wanderlust,

I have booked a double room at dorm 17. I was told it is 65 yuan a day and I have several days to pay in cash only. I believe you pay for one semester at a time. I assume it is for one person and the total room is 130 yuan for both students.

I went in blind and the front desk asked if I had a preference if I wanted a Korean/Japanese roommate. My new roommate has already been in our room for over a year.

I've stayed in the conference center for 1 semester in 2007. You can book the conference center by calling them, or let someone go there and book it for you. You will need to speak chinese, the front desk won't be able to speak english.

Be sure to mention how many days you want to stay. From what I understand is, that they have seperate rooms for long term stay and short stay. Rooms for long term stay might not always be avalible, as they are booked fast. This is because the conference center is the only on campus accomedation you can book in advance. The fees will go down if you stay longer.

For more info about the conference center http://www.blcu.edu.cn/conference/kfjsh.html#2

Hmmm the picture up top is a single room. At the bottom of the page there are 2 pictures that say single room, but I believe these are the double rooms.

thanks for the info. i actually tried calling before i received your response and found out pretty quick that english wasn't going to fly. but other than knowing a few hundred characters i'm about as basic as you are going to find so that conversation didn't go anywhere. i'll give it a shot in person when i'm there, i guess worst case scenario is i end up in a crappy dorm, which might actually make me focus on learning more :)

Don't worry about it too much, i'm sure you'll be fine. Dorm 4 isn't that bad aswell.

If you need help trying to explain, to the front desk at the conference center, that you want to book a room, let me know. I'm sure you'll be fine tho.

But for emergencies, I'll be in BJ from sept 9

does anyone here know the room situation in dorm 17? I called them on friday and they said they had double rooms available and that i should fax over my passport. but i forgot the fax number so called them again today and now they say the have no more rooms available??!! is this true or are they just pulling their usual "dorm 17 has no rooms but if u bug us enough a room will magically appear" routine?

I rang up the conference centre today and managed to reserve a room at 125RMB per night for 90 days (since I'm there for the 3 months program)

All they asked for was my name and the day I was moving in, and that was it. I asked the lady if I was guaranteed a room upon arrival since I made this reservation and she said so. But do you guys think this is a little bit too simple, i.e. no deposit required? Do I run the risk of not getting my room as stated when I arrive?

Thanks guys.

thanks for the reply xiaobin, that's very reassuring!

how would you rate the normal single rooms for the conference centre? cos there's only one pic on the website... i'm sure they're more than acceptable right?

with regards to BLCU accommodation, would you suggest single or double housing?

For a better view of the conference center click on the link below. I posted this in "Who's going to BLCU for full year program in Fall 2009?". Be sure to go trough the forums before asking questions ;)

I stayed in the conference center before, never in dorm 17. I can only give you answers based on what i heard from my friends about dorm 17. From what I understand is that utilities are included. If you have a phone on your room, you will most prob have to buy a phonecard. Dorm 17 has a laundery room and kitchen. Some guy made a youtube clip about conference center vs dorm 17

It will give you a good view of dorm 17. Dorm 17 is very popular so be quick.

The conference center is more then okay. Very clean, and a cleaning lady will come by daily. She'll clean the bathroom and make your bed.

Regarding to single or double... It both has pro and cons. Double is good, so that you will get to know ppl. But then you have the risk ending up with a room mate you can't get along with. Either way is fine i think.

I just called to reserve a room today and also got a single room for 125rmb. I really wanted a double room but were all booked. So I tried to ask the woman which dorm building that was and she refused to tell me which I thought was weird. All she asked for was my name and dates I was staying. I'll be in BLCU this sept 15 staying for 3 months. I'll be coming by myself and don't speak a word of Chinese. Does anyone think chances are high of double rooms opening up soon?

Who did you call?

If you called the conference center: they don't have double rooms for long term stay (if i'm not mistaken)

If you reserved a dorm, I don't think you can reserve in advance.

Judging on the rate of 125/day I assume you called the conference center.

Double check if you called the phone number on the conference center website.

For more info about the conference center http://www.blcu.edu.cn/conference/kfjsh.html#2

If you really want a double room, you can look for dorms once you arrive. I believe you can cancel you stay at the conference center at any moment. They price will go up since you didn't stay 90 days.

a fairly random question:

i ended up getting a single room @ the conference center. i understand that there's a fridge inside my room, so i suppose that there would be a central kitchen/laundry room? with regards to the washing machines, are there dryers available? or do you just hang dry your clothes inside your wardrobe in your room?

The fridge is small (about size of any hotel room fridge). Each floor does have laundry, including a dryer. I don't recall seeing a kitchen area like some of the dorms, but I could be wrong. I do enjoy the breakfast buffet downstairs for 10 kuai. They never change it, so you may want to switch it up.