Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

The conference center doesn't have a kitchen. Laundry rooms are located at 4th and 8th I believe. You have to get a token. It's 30kuai for 10 credits. Wash 1 credit, dryer 2 credits.

Other dorms have kitchens but not all of them.

Just arrived in BJ today, staying in the conference for now.

If you have any trouble or want to meet up let me know.

Don't have internet in my room so can't check this forum often.

My number is ********* copy it if you need it. I'll delete my number from this post in 2 days.

Edited by XiaoBin

so the conference center and housing office both claim to be out of rooms. any thoughts on whether i should just wait a couple of days or try to find something off campus (not speaking any mandarin of course makes that slightly harder I guess)? any recommendations for other options - or any others dealing with the same issue?

It's true all the dorms are fully booked!

They recruited 1.5 more international students then before and gave more scholarships away this year. Also 1.5 more chinese students. I'm struggling finding an apartment outside. Alot of ppl already chose to move outside campus. Let me know if you're interested to share an apartment. 2 bedrooms are fairly easy to find. Call me on ***********

The cheapest is to find an 3br apartment so if you know anyone else who's interested we should get a 3br one. it will be around 2000 each.

For the ppl that copied my number before, above is my new number. Had to switch phonecards.

Edited by XiaoBin

Same for me - housing office said they were out of rooms and told me to go to the conference center, and they also said - guess what - that they were out of rooms too. I guess the only option now would be to find and share apartments. I'm currently staying in the Peking University Internation Hostel that's in front of the TsingHua south gate. If there are people out there looking for a cheaper place to stay temporarily this would be it.

If wanderlust and matt would like an apartment let me know, that would be perfect. There are many 3br out there. It will be either 2000-2500 each. The apt variate from 6000-7600.

I'm heading out to check some apt at furun jiayuan tmr. It's just across of the east gate. The community there has alot of foreign ppl. Let me know asap, then I can book a 3br apt tmr!

matt it's no problem if you cannot speak, I can handle most of the stuff that comes with the apt. I'll buy electricity and talk with the landlord and stuff.

btw. I'm staying for 20 weeks, so you should be able to rent untill at least feb, after that i'm sure you'll have the option to extend. I'm not to sure if i'll do a second semester here, if any you can rent my room out to someone else by then.

I just wanted to vent about the elevator etiquette in the dorms. Logic would show that an elevator coming down on the ground floor after several stops will have people getting off. Why stand in front of the elevator only to move out of the way?

I also don't understand people using the elevator to go up/down one floor! It seems the workers in the building are the main culprits. Anyone else go through this minor day to day annoyance?

• 1 month later...

There are a LOT of students here with ZERO chinese. I'm in the intermediate class but I can vouch for the teachers here. They really specialize in teaching language to foreign students (as opposed to comments I've read somewhere stating they are merely chinese-speaking locals), what's even better is that most of them doesn't have an accent that can hamper learning. The books are great too, I think a bit better than Peking University Press.

If you have ZERO chinese, BLCU is the place to go. Some say it's a party school and there's too many foreigners but for me, if you really want to learn chinese, this is a great place to start. Chinese is the universal language here, there are a good number of students who don't speak english.

I started out as a zero level student.

The first week(s) will be a bit confusing for you and you'll feel that nobody understands you. It will get better tho. As the course starts you will meet your classmates and go out together to figure out Beijing. Which is alot of fun.

The teachers are very kind here and will help you in every way they can. If you have trouble just go to your teacher and he/she will try to help you. The A level (lowest level) teachers can speak English. They will start out teaching you in English and as you progress the English will fade out.

It's scary for most ppl, but you will find that as the course progresses it will get easier and more fun.

Hope this helps.

Food:

On campus cafeteria: about 10kuai/meal

On campus restaurants: about 20-30kuai/meal

Off campus restaurants: about 50kuai/meal

The most expensive thing is housing. On campus single rooms are about 100-150kuai/day depending in which dorm you live.

hey everyone!

is anyone going to BLCU for the december-january short term winter program?

i rang the dorms, but apparently they're already all booked out. the only accommodation available is the conference center.

could anyone confirm this please?

thanks!

True, BLCU campus is overloaded with students this semester. They recruited 1,5 times the students then before. Most prob these students will stay to the end of december (12 weeks students) or end of february (20 weeks students).

Conference center prob has some rooms left. Also try dorm 17, I heard some rooms opened up there.

i'm getting really confused now!

last week when i rang the conference center, they told me i could only reserve 3 days in advance before arrival , and they quoted me 198 rmb

when i called them today, they 'seemed' to have booked me in for the time period of my stay in china, and they charged me a lot less (135 rmb) than what was quoted previously...

i asked them if i will be guaranteed a room when i arrive, and they responded yes, but im very skeptical about it.

they only took my name down and my nationality.

sigh, could anyone confirm this?

thanks so much!~~

Normally the 198 a day is for very short term and will go down with longer stays. If you "seemed" to want stay there for your study at BLCU then it should be a lot less. One kid in my class, here for a year, is paying about 110 a night at the center.

Their reservation normally consists of just name and nationality and when I showed up I did get a room (just needed one night). Yet, don't be surprised if the room is gone. I assume if you make a fuss then a room will surprisingly open up.

hi guys

can anyone tell me how much does conference center charges for the internet connection in the room?

is there any internet cafe nearby or any recommended way to get connected if i'm staying in conference center?

thanks in advance:wink:

I will also be studying at BLCU this winter and have been lucky enough to get a single dorm. I have no idea what it is like, hopefully it will be ok.

I would also like to know about internet access but in the dorms, hahaha oh yes and mobile phone tips...i'm currently in Shanghai with some friends and found that i needed to make an international call just to call Beijing and that i also get charged for receiving calls. Pardon my western preciousness but this is INSANE!! Apparently there is some way to get around this?

Many thanks in advance and apologies if this has already been answered some time back :D

@Sarah

It depends on which dorm building they will assign you to.

Internet for dorms:

Cernet (120rmb/month unlimited, cheaper I think for longer staying students, cannot be shared using a router, not sure if available in the conference center)

China Unicom DSL (Price varies according to pre-paid card type - 2mbps is 120rmb/month unlimited plus 100rmb deposit for modem, you can avail this service on-campus, can be shared using a router)

Mobile Phones:

China Mobile (add 12593 to any number for lower per minute rates then text some code I forgot so that incoming calls from anywhere will be free after an initial charge of 10rmb/month.