Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

Dorm 17 is International Student's House.

Reservation is probably the trickiest (and most annoying) aspect of Dorm 17. The only way you can be 100% sure of a reservation is if you pay the 2100RMB reservation fee where you will need someone in Beijing to do it for you. I read here China Unipath accepts reservation but they charge a fee for that. As for over-the-phone no-charge reservations, do not be surprised if they don't honor your reservation once you get there.

No dorms do not have curfews for its residents. Some dorms are stricter during night for visitors entering past 10pm. They ask for identification, etc. Party as much as you want. :clap

Edited by greenarcher

No sorry I'm not yet in Beijing. I don't think you can pay them through wire transfer. What you can do when you get to Beijing is open an account at ICBC, a bank in China, and have someone from your country wire the money to your account. Why do you need to pay them in advanced? Is this to reserve a room? Are you staying in the CC for a sem? Not sure if there will be more students this semester but CC rarely gets fully booked.

Hi Guys,

Have a few question to ask:

I am planning to do the intensive 30hrs a week chinese course.

1. What do i need to bring for the registration? I kind of forgot to bring my original JW202 form but I do have a copy with me. Will that suffice or will this create a problem when i register?

2. What are the placement test like? I have studied chinese for 5 years, but have not been using it for the pass 10-12 years and I have kind of forgot how to read and write, but I can understand basic-intermediate speaking and listening. Can I request to enter like the B class instead of A? I reckon if i do A I'll be very bored and won't learn as much if i do B.

3. Didn't really had the chance to watch the video, but I may be able to get the CC single room. How great is it? Convenience? Room wise? and noise level if it does get noisy outside?

4. Anybody in beijing currently using a blackberry? I hope to be able to use my blackberry (including its service like messenger) for my duration there, how much will it cost? Is it worth it?

5. For the internet at CC or Dorm, how much bandwith do you get? I know that you have to pay 18$ usd, according to Chinaunipath anyway.

6. Dorm 17 or CC? Judging from chinaunipath, i prefer CC but would like to know which is more worth the price and better :).

Thx guys,

1. Bring your JW202 and temporary residence permit (either from hotel or your dorm)

2. 1st a written exam and then based from your performance in that exam, the teacher will let you read a few paragraphs of text. Then a small interview on your chinese background.

5. China Unicom offers 1 and 2mbps. CERNET is around 2mbps.

6. The environment in 17 is better and is closer to Wudaokou/Subway Station. CC is closer to the classrooms and to the ATM machine. If I were given a choice, I would get a room in 17.

hi guys!

i am coming at 22 march at blcu1but i have agreat problem. embassy kept the original documents of admission letter and jw202. i am trying to get in touch with the university but none answers. i dont have chinese embassy in my town. i dont know what to do!:help

will the embassy return the documents?i have only copies!

Hi everybody!

Props to BrianUS, MikeyNinja, greenarcher, Altea, etc for all your contributions.

I speak some Mandarin but haven't been to China before. Would be most happy to meet those who are heading to BLCU for spring sem.

I'm arriving in beijing this Friday afternoon and will be staying at the conference centre. anyone else staying at the CC?

pokipoki, seems you are intending to stay there as well? are you attending spring semester?

maybe its a repeat, but I thought I saw that there's some renovations going on @ BLCU? where there's going to be fastfood joints like KFC etc?

And heard that the ICBC branch office on campus is undergoing renovations as well? i'll be rushing to set up stuff like bank account when i arrive.

Thanks in advance

i'll be studying for the spring sem as well from march 1-july 9. I actually made a reservation to see the rooms at CC and will see how it goes from there. Looks promising though so I may stay there for the duration of my course. wouldn't mind dorm 17 but since its incredibly hard to get, i guess CC will have to do.

Anybody in dorm 17? I am there at the moment but it seems a couple of things are missing / not sure if I should provide them myself: shower curtain + blanket (there are just sheets covering the mattress). The mattress sure is thin; might pick up another cheap one to put on top.

Also what is everyone's opinion on leaving valuables (ie laptop) in your dorm room?

The shower should have a curtain. The blanket is a hotel-like blanket which is very thick, you might mistake it for the mattress.

At first I was hesitant to leave my laptop on the desk but eventually got used to doing it. Nothing got lost among my belongings.

Hi guys,

I'm quit new on this forum, so I'm sorry for the questions which have allready been answered... I will follow a language course of 20 hours from march 24th untill june 15, and I got some questions!

1- Do you really have to make a reservation for the dorms? (Is it also possible to look for it when you arrive?)

2- How much does it cost to make a reservation?

3- Are you sure you'll get a room when making a reservation?

4- Are the rooms in the CC the only acceptable rooms or are the others also OK?

5- Does anyone know something about other accomodations like the International Students Centre?

6- Are there also students who stay in a Hotel (are they nearby? And is it much more expensive?)

I'll look forward to the answers.....

Thanks a lot in advance!!