Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

went to the dorm but was full. I got into CC quite easy as there were still a several or a lot of rooms left when i came. If u stay in CC try to get the 'west' facing rooms as the other side does not give good views.

Just finished with my rego. Had a problem with my registration as I TelegraphicTransfered the tuition fee and I haven't got the confirmation receipt from admin which i must get on monday. Placement test is on monday, and I was told that there may not be a class on monday as everybody will still be trying to tie up loose ends. Reckon if u want to register try to come extra early when it opens or around 11-12. I came at 10 and it was packed and had to queue like crazy. Basically for your 1st queue just give the person your admission notice, he will in turn give you a tuition bill. Go 2nd floor for the 2nd queue to pay your tuition bills. 3rd queue on 2nd floor for your medical insurance (just give the guy/girl your passport). Last queue downstairs for student card/handbook/class schedule, prepare all docs you have with you. Lastly get your placement test info on the big billboard. and your done. IF you TT-ed, you need to get receipt from administration office on monday after u done your placement test, then bring the receipt to the last queue and get your stuff there.

Overall a bit disappointed as I was not given appropriate direction to solve my TT problem. A bit unorganized on the BLCU side I guess.

Hello! Me and my friend wants to study in BLCU summercourse this year and we have some questions.

Are the schoolapartments double room good? Are there any other places to live nearby?

We want to gym as well and are there any big, affordable gym nearby the university and someplace u guys would recommend? The pricing would be nice to know as well :)

I've seen lots of pictures on in the campus in BLCU and for example like tennis, is it for everyone to play there or does it cost?

Are there any time the dorms are closed? e.g. if we have to get home in a certain time to the school apartments?

i would SO appreciate an answer! :help:D

Hey guys!

So I recently got accepted to BLCU for the Fall 2010 semester! :clap

I'm super excited and nervous and have some questions:

1. It says that the program is from Sept 16th 2010 to January 21st 2011. Does that mean the exam is on the 21st? Or is that the last class with the final exam past that date? When do report cards for the program get distributed usually? A few days? Weeks?

If anyone studied in the Fall 2009 semester, when did you finish everything? And receive all your final documents from the school/go home?

I plan on returning back home right away to get back into my Winter semester at my school in Canada.

2. I will be in the 30 hour intensive program, are there different classes for the reading, oral, writing etc? Or is it all one class with the same people? I have basically no knowledge in reading or writing but from speaking Mandarin at home with my parents, my oral is a lot higher. Any idea how they will place me?

3. I plan on arriving about a month early. Will I be allowed to stay in the dorms that much in advance?

Thank you so much!! :) responses to any of the questions would be much appreciate :D

Does anyone know what building 2 is like?
Hi JonBi

Dorm 2 is also reserved mainly for scholarship students.. Chinese students live here only. It's 4 to a room, shared (squatting) toilets, no bathrooms in the entire building. They use public bathrooms to shower that are not in the building. First 6 floors are for female students, above those for male students. There is no A/C and sometimes only 1 elevator/lift works. Rooms in 2 don’t seem to have a fridge.

More at http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/63-taiwanese-writer-san-mao26&page=15 - post dated January 13, 2010

Hey JonBi,

Don't worry! I was asked to report there too! It's just where the residential office is. You need to go there so they can allocate you to a room, but get there quick! I went on Saturday afternoon and most of the better rooms have been taken already. :)

Hope that helps!

Oh - wouldn't be too bad living in an all-Chinese dorm though I guess, since I surely will learn the language faster, though the Toilet conditions mentioned seem to be gangrenous. Though I guess it shouldn't matter anyway - I am not paying, so I will take whatever they can give me, be it in the humble dorm, or the posh dorm, or whatever.

Hi, Can anyone tell me which would be a better choice at BLCU: the conference center or Dorm 17? I'm more interested in comfort. For instance,

Which place has an actual shower room? (Not simply a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor) Are there only certain rooms with a shower room or all of them have this?

Which seems to be cleaner?

The conference center website states that they have regular rooms and luxury rooms? What are the specific differences between the two?

Which would you recommend and why?

Will negotiating, lower the price a significant amount?

Thank you for your help!:D

@janjan

I am currently staying in dorm 17 but I have seen the rooms at the conference centre so I can probably give you an idea. The room rates are the same (115/day) for the longer stay patrons (1 semester I believe).

Dorm 17

Pros: - Rooms literally more than twice the size of CC rooms (i'm in a single)

- Free wifi access at the reception

- Friendly staff

- Nice, clean, new and comfortable room

- Close to Wudaokou subway

Cons: - Not many english speaking students here (that is right now - mostly korean japanese and indonesian. Most of the foreign friends I have are from GB, America etc but they are all living at the conference centre as it is hard to get a room in dorm 17. However I have used this as an opportunity to talk to Japanese and Koreans who are a bit shy but very friendly once you break the ice

- Far from the classrooms

- Paper thin walls so if you have bad neighbours who talk until the early hours of the morning it sucks

CC

Pros: - Lots of english speaking people there (which can also be a con if you get stuck speaking english all the time)

- Right in the middle of campus so it's very convenient

- Comfortable + cosy

Cons: Half the size of dorm 17 rooms for the same price

That's all I can think of at the moment. There is definitely a lot more international students hanging around the reception area of dorm 17. As for the showers they are all just drain holes in the floor. It's not that bad, the floor is just wet for a while.

I don't think you are able to negotiate the price of the rooms unless you have someone fluent in Mandarin with you.

Overall I would recommend dorm 17 but make sure you book + make a deposit or else the rooms are not guaranteed if you simply "reserve" them.

@jonbi

Even if you are really keen on "immersing" yourself in the chinese culture it gets really really tiring when you are talking to someone and they don't understand you half the time (and vice versa).

Dorm 17

Pros:

- Friendly staff

I have to disagree. Dorm 17 staff are terribly rude, even for China's standards. My friend even considered complaining to management after one young girl turned hostile towards him for 'disturbing' her after he inquired whether or not they had any rooms available.

CC staff show a little bit more experience and professionalism and if you are nice in return then they will even speak a bit of English.

Just went with a friend who wanted to get out of dorm one ASAP. Dorm 17 does still have rooms available (at least for a double). The conference center normally has rooms and he was quoted for 115 kuai a night for a semester.

CC additional pros:

-free breakfast

- room and bathroom gets cleaned everyday

for those who wants to get to dorm 17, my friend told me that u have to be persistent. even though they say they have no more rooms, you still have to sound desperate and try to BS as much as u can. Cause sometimes they say they have no rooms but they DO have a few rooms.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Really usefull information here. Just have a few more questions

I am an Australian seriously considering coming over to study at BLCU from septeember 2010 for a whole year. I speak no chinese at all.

Firstly, with a year a full time study how close to fluency do you think that I will be at the end of the semester based on much study?

What would you recommend to a foreigner from a western country in terms of housing? I am used to the comforts of western showers and toiler systems. I am quite happy to share with somone and would probably prefer this as I will be able to speak chinese with them.

I am a commerce graduate in finance and accounting. Does anyone have any idea on the improved job opportunites that I might expect when combining finance with the langage of mandarin

Finally is there anyone else that is in a similar situation to me? It is a very daunting feeling the idea of moving a country when you speak none of the langauge, however this is the appeal as i love a good challenge.

Hey everyone!

I've just been accepted to study at BLCU and will be arriving in early September. What is the process for organising to stay in a single room in either Dorm 17 or the Conference Centre? Do I have to book a room now? Or would it be safe to arrive at the end of August and just go to either Dorm 17 or CC in person and ask for a room?

I'm pretty fixed on staying in a single room in either of these buildings so I would appreciate finding out the safest way to guarantee a room!

Thanks for your help