Chinese-Forums

BLCU, Beijing Language and Culture University, Housing Info, and more

amandagmu

So the general verdict is try to upgrade a scholarship room without even bothering to look at it, as they are rather dreadful, and for 15kuai a day there is no point in suffering through it unless you really need the money?

And we go about doing this by showing up early, and asking for an upgrade right from the getgo?

• 2 weeks later...
blcu_student_to_be

Hi, I noticed that some mentioned that they were able to get a scholarship to study at BLCU. I have a few questions.

1. Can anyone tell me how to apply for one too?

2. Can you give me names or contact number for persons that will grant a scholarship in the Philippines? I am from the Philippines and I do not know who to contact.

3. What are the scholarship requirements?

4. Do they also offer scholarship for short-term courses(4 weeks to 1 semester)? Or does the scholarship for long-term courses only (1 year)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I noticed that some mentioned that they were able to get a scholarship to study at BLCU. I have a few questions.

1. Can anyone tell me how to apply for one too?

2. Can you give me names or contact number for persons that will grant a scholarship in the Philippines? I am from the Philippines and I do not know who to contact.

3. What are the scholarship requirements?

4. Do they also offer scholarship for short-term courses(4 weeks to 1 semester)? Or does the scholarship for long-term courses only (1 year)?

Thanks in advance!

There is a thread in the mainforum of this subforum that talks about the CSC scholarship, though I don't know if you can still apply, as the deadline for Canada at least was December 15th.

blcu_student_to_be

There is a thread in the mainforum of this subforum that talks about the CSC scholarship, though I don't know if you can still apply, as the deadline for Canada at least was December 15th.

Thanks you for telling me. I already posted my queries on CSC Scholarship thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I will be studying in BLCU this summer. My friend is gonna come to visit me for couple days, so I was wondering if it's possible for her to stay with me. Also, are there fuwuyuan on every floor in CC as it was in dorm 4, when I lived there)? If my friend won't be able to stay at my room, can she have a room in CC or the rooms are for students only?

CC doors cannot be double locked and fuyuans sometimes enter the room specially if they suspect you have a visitor. As far as I know they don't allow visitors unlike Dorm 17 which is more lenient except for the luggage part.

CC allows non-students to stay there.

@ AprilTulip

For the first 3 months, The CC was a bit carefree about visitors.

Anyway, they recently pulled their socks up and reminded guests that visiting times are between 8am-11pm and all visitors need to sign in.

On weekends now they even lock the door around midnight and put someone on guard duty.

And yes, there are 2 fuwuyuans to every floor.

Thank you, MikeyNinja91 and greenarcher. I called CC today and they say there is no room to whatever I ask them. Is it possible to get a room in CC when I arrive to BLCU if I didn't book it? What about dorms? Can non-students stay in CC only or in dorm 17 as well. Do I understand it right that they call dorm 17 "Home for International Students"?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for the one year program this Sept but noticed that you guys had warned about being stuck in the same class with the same teachers the whole year. So, is it a problem if I apply the 2 semester separately? Like apply for the fall sem. which starts on Sept. 16, and then wait for about 2 months after finishing it to start another sem. in March? Is there any problem with that? (I mean visa and all because I'll probably apply sooner than normal for the 2nd sem.)

After reading many posts about not being able to make reservations to dorms at BLCU, I didn't bother. Then, when I arrived thinking that since I came early I might be able to get a room since everybody else can't reserve either, I found out I was wrong. Try to make a reservation however possible if you want to stay on campus. Both the CC, building 17, and the international student residence were all booked. I told these people that I basically did not know where I was sleeping that night and they did not budge. The Xijiao Hotel is expensive but pretty nice. I had to stay there my first night. The Foreign Student Activities Center is where I'm staying my second night. I think a lot has changed since the OP has been here. The rooms are not in the best condition, but I think its the cheapest option if you don't have a place on campus and you don't want to get your own apartment. Here, the more you stay the less you pay, but for me, staying a month, it is not very profitable. They also charge you for electricity and internet and they no longer have a shuttle to campus every morning. Today I found a bedroom on classifieds for 2000 RMB + 160 for utilities which includes access to kitchen, washer, AC, TV, and it is much closer to campus than the activities center.

I think that the best option is to get your own apartment with time in advance, especially for summer terms when students from the Harvard programs and stuff are taking up all the dorms.

• Like 1

@ wingman

Could you please, give link to the classifieds, where you found the apartment? How much did it cost you to stay one night at the hotel? I am still trying to find a place to stay, arriving on 22 June...

Thank you.

Try checking out thebeijinger.com's classifieds. Don't steal anything from me though, I'm still looking myself ;) I arrived today and I'm staying at Xijiao hotel at the moment, paying $35-40 per night I think for a single room. It's bit overpriced in my opinion, but they had free rooms and it's clean. Hopefully I'll find an apartment tomorrow so I can move in on tuesday...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Does anyone of you have a "working" email of the dorms?

I'll be following the 4-31 Aug course, but still cannot get in touch with the dorms and will be arriving in Beijing on 1st Aug.

From some previous posts and another thread I understood some of the dorms are already booked. I managed to call the Conf Center and that one is fully booked.

Any advice from students now there in Beijing is more than welcomed.]This evening (GMT+1 is my time zone) I'll read more posts and probably post here other questions/doubts I have.

• 2 weeks later...

My stint in BLCU and Beijing is officially over. It was no doubt, one of the best experiences of my life.

The things I learned, the places I saw, the people I met, are now all precious memories.

Good bye Beijing for now, I will be back. :D

There's an health insurance provided by the CSC's full scholarship.

However, I'm on partial scholarship, so tuition only for me.

So I was wondering if it's possible to pay for this insurance at the school (I suppose each university provides its own). And if so, is it any good?

I'm thinking about taking one in my country (travel health insurance), but if the one at BLCU is good (and cheaper), maybe I'll try to take this one...

What are you guys doing? If you're covered by the full scholarship, are you taking an insurance in your country on top of the CSC one anyway?

My acceptance packet said we are required to buy the university health insurance, 600RMB upon registration. So you don't have a choice about the Chinese insurance. I don't know what it covers for so little money, though. 600RMB is less than $100, which would buy you one month of very basic care (a few office visits and limited catastrophic injury/illness) in the US.

The insurance is not required. I heard it takes quite an effort to reimburse the money in the event you use the insurance.